Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Eygaleires as a base for a few days in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

I was intrigued during a too short 2004 visit in Provence and am considering a return trip to explore the area in a more leisurely fashion. We didn't even visit the village, just drove past a few times and I silently told myself "I'm going to return". Now I'm in beginning planning stages and would love input from Fodorites. I know there are wonderful options of many vilages to consider, but does anyone have thoughts on the village of Eygaleries. Years ago I saw a rental that intrigued me but may opt for the hotel - La Bastide. This would be a slow week of wandering, after picking up a rental car in Avignon.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We love Eygalieres! It's a very pretty village that is not over run with tourists. We go to Provence quite frequently to visit our daughter and her family, so we have visited Eygalieres quite a few times. it is small, but there are a lot of very good restaurants to choose from. There are castle ruins which we have not seen yet. There is also a wonderful Friday morning market frequented by locals. I don't think we have ever heard any native English speakers, so if you want a more local French experience, I think Eygalieres is a good choice. Some people might think it is too small to use as a base, but I think it would be a nice village to stay in and close to other places. My daughter's French in-laws stayed in Eygalieres for a week last April when they came for our/their grandchildren's baptism, and they did a lot of sightseeing while using Eygalieres as a base.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 05:59 AM

Eygalieres is fine. Not too touristy. Good location.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you both!
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
My daughter's French in-laws stayed in Eygalieres for a week last April when they came for our/their grandchildren's baptism, and they did a lot of sightseeing while using Eygalieres as a base.
Do you know where they stayed?
I'm completely open to options.
Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 09:49 AM

I know they rented an apartment (or perhaps a house) because there were several families staying together, and some had young children. I can ask my daughter to find out which place they rented. And I will ask for names of some of the restaurants we have eaten at. I know one restaurant is Café Progress, right next to the market. We have eaten there only when we visited the Friday market. We had lunch, and on Fridays only they serve a very delicious fresh fish dish. I think we tried a few other dishes there, and thought they were average. The fresh fish was excellent. The fish and vegetables are steamed, or baked, together in parchment or foil, something like that.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 07:36 AM

Starrs, I know I am getting back to you late on this. I did ask my daughter where her in-laws stayed in Eygalieres. All she knows is that they rented a house that slept 10 people because there were several families staying there with young children. I assume you are not interested in renting such a large house.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

You are not "late" and you are right. I am not!
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 09:35 AM

Been there several times while staying in nearby St. Remy. Nice village. Small. Roads into and out of it are a bit rural. We like to walk, and I think St. Remy is better suited for that (and other things, Ike shops and restaurants). There’s a nice winery and a glider airfield nearby that most visitors miss. We enjoyed watching the gliders land and takeoff with the Alpilles in the background.
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We got sick in Provence and had to redo our itinerary. The doctor we went to said to go to Egslietes where he had a vacation home. We did and he was right.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 04:31 AM

Eygalières retains some authenticity. St-Rémy these days might as well be a tourist town in California. I won't go near it. It's a sorry thing that is happening to towns all over France - maybe all over Europe, I don't know - but the towns get loads of money from Americans and others who think OMG they're in France and it's so cool. It's not, and it's not French. They get glance-y impressions and are blown away because it's so different and exotic and beautiful. Meanwhile the natives are so clued in that they charge insane prices for a little woven bag full of lavender or a bottle of cheap wine or a tablecloth decorated with olives - I guess at the end of the day everyone is happy.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
The doctor we went to said to go to Egslietes where he had a vacation home. We did and he was right.
How wonderful! Well, I'm sorry you got sick but how wonderful the doctor suggested Egslietes! I'm even more excited about this choice. Thank you for confirming it's a good base and one you enjoyed.