Question about museums, sites in Paris

Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Question about museums, sites in Paris

First of all, thanks so much for answering my many, many questions about Paris. I really appreciate it and will be sure to report back after our trip with tips, suggestions, etc.

If we decide to get a Paris Museum Pass (which I think we're going to do for the convenience even if it doesn't save us that much money), will we get brochures/pamphlets at each of the museums/sites as we enter? I'm talking about brochures that would explain the exhibits, maps, give information, etc. If they're not given out as we enter, could we get something from a bookstore before we actually tour each museum?

We'd rather not carry multiple guidebooks as we're walking around Paris, and we usually like the brochures/info we get. I always save them and put them into our "trip book" when we return home.

Thanks so much!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

Samsaf, no worries-you'll have lots of stuff for your scrapbook. I'm a paper junkie myself, and head straight for the maps, etc, at each site. All of the museums will have free maps in many languages available. In the case of large museums where you want more, the gift shop is usually the easiest place to find even without a map.

There are some good guided tours in guidebooks like Rick Steves' that you could copy or tear out if you like, though they usually cover the "top" items on display. Do a little research ahead of time to find out if there are special exhibits, which may not be in the general map or plan, but will have their own brochure inside. Also be aware that art works may be off exhibit for restoration or on loan so try not to set your heart on any one without having alternates.

If you've got kids, you should stop at the gift shop first to pick out postcards of art works to turn into a sort of scavenger hunt.
It usually works to ask the salesperson if any of the works pictured is off display-if they're very popular, they'll know.

Bon voyage!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM

I like to buy an exhibit guide for every museum I visit, and have found that almost always they will have one. I don't necessarily use it for my visit, but I like to have it to look at later. If there is a special exhibit, I'd assume you will also find a exhibit catalog. Now...I can;t guarantee it will always be in English (I'm bilingual so I look for the English, but can just as easily buy the French one).

For laerger museums, like Orsay and Louvfre, they will have a map of the building, of varying usefulness. Many people here have recommended Rick Steves' tour of the Louvre. I'd also look on the website for English tours. Note, for smaller museums, you are more on your own.

As stated, instead of carrying around one or more guidebooks, rip out the section for the museum you will be seeing that day. When I'm out and about in Paris, I now only carry my Michelin Blue map of Paris, and maybe one sheet with some addresses and notes (restaurants,etc.). But, its been a while since I've been to the Louvre, I've been focusing more on smaller places. I'd want to have a plan before going there.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

Some of us feel it is 'sacrilege' to 'rip out' pages from a book. I just can't do it !
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM

Forces me to buy next year's version, look at the new pictures, restos, and start dreaming again

How about a photocopy then?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

But do they give you these brochures/pamphlets as you go in (with the Museum Pass), or do you have to search for them?

Thanks!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:16 PM

Generally speaking, you will not be handed materials as you enter. You need to go to the information desk.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, shellio. That's what information I was wanting.

This will be my husband and me, with no children (celebrating our 27th anniversary!)