Louvre map online

Search

Louvre map online

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louvre map online

I have a few days to myself prior to the commencement of a tour from France next year and will be visiting the Louvre. Is there an online map of the louvre available showing what exhibits are in particular areas?
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hi

The official website for the Louvre should help. Also on entry you will be given a brochure informing you of the star exhibits and where they are.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Here's a link to Paris Notes which has a subscribers only section but also has lots of free info. Click on the "Free Paris .pdf" and there is an English Louvre floorplan. There's lots of other good stuff, too. Enjoy your trip planning.
http://parisnotes.com/
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Don't be surprised if you still get 'lost' in the Louvre, even as you're holding the map. !
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I found good map on the parisnotes website. The original site I looked at prior to my post was www.luovre.fr , but it didn't seem to indicate what was being displayed where.
thanks again
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

edit
that was www.louvre.fr if anyone was interested
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM

They give you a map when you get there, of course, but some guidebooks also have a map with areas marked, like the Michelin Green Guide.

The website does have a map with the exhibits marked in it -- it's in the "visit" section, then interactive floor plans. I don't know if it's that easy to use, as it is interactive, so you can't just print it out with every section marked, probably. For example, if you go to the map for the ground floor, then point to a section, it tells you what is there (Mesopotamia, 19th C French sculpture, etc.).
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM

It is really worthwhile to buy a guide to the Louvre in advance of your trip and invest some time in studying it. The Louvre is vast and incredibly annoying to get around. Trying to find what you want to see can be extremely frustrating and time consuming (and exhausting, since you can literally walk miles in the Louvre).

Inside the Louvre, the staff can be very unhelpful and the wall maps can be hard to decipher. Sorry to sound so negative, but I think the various renovations made to the Louvre over recent years have created a lot of problems for visitors.

You can avoid many of those problems by familiarizing yourself with the layout before you go and not attempting to rely on the inadequate maps the Louvre hands out for free.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies
nessundorma- exactly what you have mentioned with regards to finding what you want to see is the reason for my post; well said! I may only have 3 or so hours, so if I can minimise time wastage looking for particular exhibits, then all the better.
Christina- thanks for the recommendation for the guide books, Currently have a France guide book, but will check out Paris books soon.

Thanks again
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:40 AM

"The Louvre is vast and incredibly annoying to get around".

Especiallly for a 45-minute Mona-Winged Victory-Venus trek.

Sorry, the Louvre was a palace before being a museum. 600 years a history in a single building create a few constraints.

Easy-to-understand maps in various languages depicting the different floors, and the collections exhibited there are available in the Louvre entrance hall.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM

When the Louvre Museum was still a palace, it was much easier to get around. I'm with Nessundorma that the long series of renovations -- including that horrible pyramid stuck right in the middle of the courtyard -- have made visiting the museum far less enjoyable. It really made me sad the last time I was in the Louvre to find that it was only in a few neglected staircases that you could find any sense of what the Louvre was when it was a palace.

Sounds to me like Nessundorma knows the Louvre better than Trudaine does. (I also think the "easy-to-follow" maps in the entrance way to the Louvre are useless if you are seriously interested in seeing the Louvre's collection, not just the "greatest hits.&quot

Buying a good guidebook specifically for the Louvre is a good tip for people who are going to Paris mainly because they want to see art.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM

"Sounds to me like Nessundorma knows the Louvre better than Trudaine does"

Well, being a member of the Friends of the Louvre association, I visit the Louvre quite often, in particular during the "nocturne" late opening hours. Once you understand that this A-shaped structure is organised in "wings" and (European)floors, it is not that difficult to orient yourself, espacially as you have the views on the city, the river or the courtyards.

"Interactive floor plans " in English are available on the Louvre website.

Of course, everything is linear (to get to one specific room, you have to cross all the previous ones before), as in traditional palace architecture before the 18th century. Granted, as the place was converted into a museum in 1793, a little bit of interior remodelling has been done since...
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Here's a link that we found useful for a 3-hour tour of the Louvre if you don't have a whole lot of time. It was excellent.

http://www.gettingaway.com/directory...ris/louvre.htm
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Trudaine,

I don't know how long you've been going to the Louvre or a friend of the Louvre, but you seem fixed on the idea that the downsides of the Louvre's current layout are intrinsic to its originally having been a palace. But the drastic renovations done to the Louvre over the past 15 to 20 years, and the installation of all those escalators, really chopped up what used to be quite a logical, coherent flow and arrangement, which made it much easier to explore the Louvre's vast collection without getting lost or frustrated. In addition, it was a much less sterile experience.

Many of the current renovations have resulted in greater ease of movement for the mobility impaired. But that (and finally moving the Mona Lisa to its own special tourist spot) is about the only plus that I can see. Most visitors trying to follow the Louvre's idea of how to see its paintings will find themselves sent off in disparate directions and lost in an exhausting maze.

For those with limited time who have a wish list of artworks they've been waiting all their lives to view, I reiterate my advice to get a good guidebook in advance, identify the location of what's important for you personally to see, and plot a route.

Others might be content to just wander. The Louvre is full of extraordinary surprises.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I don't agree that the maps provided at the entrance to the Louvre are worthless unless you only want the greatest hits. In fact, I'd say the opposite as they tell you what is in every section on every floor.

I really enjoy sculpture and Medieval and decorative arts, so I can see those areas on the map and then go to them and view everything and spend hours in there -- not just go to the "greatest hits". In fact, some guidebooks that are not meant to be comprehensive to the Louvre only tell you about the "greatest hits". I think the maps may not be of use to someone who has no idea or interest in art whatsoever or something. They are typical museum layout maps like you get in lots of museums that depict the sections on different floors.

They are not meant to be full descriptions of every work of art on the wall, of course, they are floor plans.

If this is really important to you to study in advance for some reason, I do agree a guidebook that is specific to the museum would be helpful. I don't ever do that myself because I don't go to museums solely to see particular works of art, but I decide for my visit what I want to concentrate on and go to that area. For the Louvre or any foreign museum, I do go to sections that are particularly special or outstanding to that museum and/or things I cannot easily see elsewhere. For example, I do like Egyptian art and history, but I don't visit the Egyptian section in the Louvre, even though I know it is considered a good one, because I periodically visit the Met in NY, as well as the British Museum, and have been to Egypt and seen those museums directly, so I don't spend my time in Paris doing that when I could be viewing 18-19th century French sculpture.

The Michelin Green Guide is very good for specifics on many buildings and museums in Paris. I think it gives you enough ideas of the sections of the Louvre and the most special works for a museum trip plan, but I haven't looked at it in a while.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Christina,

The floor plan maps are fine if you want to locate very large categories such as you cited. If you want to locate the work of a particular artist -- say, Corot or Bernard Palissey, it can be tough, even when you know these artist's dates.

I am somewhat astonished by the comments being made assuming those who disagree with them about the utility of the floor plan must not be enlightened or something. The floor plan maps, with arrows pointing to the most popular Louvre treasures, seem obviously designed for visitors who want to quickly locate the "must sees."

Many people who are very interested in art will be going to the Louvre to see specific works of art (or several works by a particular artist). Just because that's not your personal preference in museum going hardly means these people aren't using the museum to maximum advantage.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your information.
with the short time available , I think I'll purchase a guidebook, study the layout and location of particular exhibits etc prior to my trip in April, and go from there.
for anyone else interested in guidebooks, I visited the bookstore today and the eyewitness book on Paris seemed very descriptive of the louvre. I would like to check out the michelin green guide aswell before making a purchase. Thanks also for the 3 hours in the Louvre link Budman.