Search

Musee de l'Orangerie Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Musee de l'Orangerie Questions

Planning to visit on a Friday afternoon in mid-October(it is open until 9pm on Fridays). Couple of questions:

#1) Comment on how long you spent at the museum? 1 hour? 2 hours? I know it can vary a lot from person to person, but my impression is that the museum isn't that big (eg, vs Louvre).

#2) Comment on the audioguide if you used one? I think it's extra charge and wonder what you thought of it. I've gotten some audioguides in the past and they varied from great and informative to long and boring.

#3) Anyone visited on a Friday afternoon, or just in "late" afternoon? We're planning to get there around 4pm. I'm hoping most of the tourists will flock there during the first couple of opening hours and place will be emptier by 4pm. We're not getting a Museum Pass, and probably won't buy advance tickets.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:59 AM

We were there last Friday, spending probably two leisurely hours there. The Monet is two rooms, and there are additional works by other artists downstairs. It is a small museum.

We used the audioguide, however we always do. I think it may be at no charge. I especially liked it for some of the artists that I was not familiar with on the lower level.

We were there as they opened for individuals at 12:30pm, probably waited for a half hour, maybe a little more, it wasn't a bad wait. We attempted to purchase advance tickets the day before and it was not possible.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
yk
Original Poster

SwimChick - do you recall a long line to get in when you left?

According to the website, the entrance fee is €6,50 and the audioguide is an additional €5.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM
kja

As I recall, I spent close to 2 hours there. It is a small museum, but packed with wonderful stuff and I wanted to take my time with it. I don't think I used the audioguide, but I'm not sure. Hope that helps!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

I probably spent about 1.5 to 2 hours there, also. I'm not crazy about some of the artwork in there, though (eg, I don't like Renoir very well). I didn't use the audioguide as I don't use them typically for art galleries, especially if I know the artists and periods fairly well. Also, I read French so can read some of the curating remarks or things sometimes that one couldn't if you didn't know the language. I used to get them but found they often just repeated the things that were written on the walls, or went on too long about stuff I didn't care about or that were self-evident.

I went on a Sunday afternoon and so it was crowded.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I was there in May on a Saturday around 3:30pm. I walked right in - no lines. Didn't use any audio, as I didn't even think of getting one. I spent about 1.5 hours in the musuem. Loved it especially Monet's huge water lilly paintings.

Monica
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
yk
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I was there on Sept 10 (monday) in the mid-afternoon. Line was maybe 50 people and we only waited about 5 minutes to get in.

We spent just over an hour at the museum, less than others, perhaps, because we were a bit weary and breezed through the downstairs exhibits.

Did not use the audioguide. Would note that introductory signs on museum were not in English
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:47 AM

It might even be better in the late afternoon. We had tickets for the opening time and the MOnet rooms were so crowded you could barely see the paintings>
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
yk
Original Poster

topping again
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM

bookmarking
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:43 AM

No line on a Friday about 4PM this past May. Walked right in. Not many people during my hour + stay.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM

We spent at least two hours there. We loved it...although it is small it has some wonderful riches. I had an audioguide and soaked up everything, taking my time with the exhibits. This was my favourite museum experience in Paris!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:40 PM

I was there in March. Went around 2 in the afternoon and walked right in. Used the audioguide and found it very helpful. I can read French but the stories that went with some of the art were very informative. It is really one of my favorite places. The starkness of the setting goes well with the artwork.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
yk
Original Poster

To follow up: we're back from our trip.

We ended up visiting the museum on Friday afternoon at 3:30pm. There was a line (about 20 deep). We ended up getting a Museum pass so we skipped the line.

We spent an hour there, did not get the audioguide.

By the time we left, there was no line.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM

I was there last November..wow, almost a year already...anyway, we didn't have crowds. We didn't get the museum pass and waiting about 20 minutes in line.

We spent about 1 1/2 hours or so. I liked just sitting on the benches in the rooms with the Monets. The colors are wonderful. Then I like to get up and look at them really closely where you can just see the blobs of paint and then back away again. All I can think is "how'd he DO that!!!!!!? I think it would be really frustrating if it was really crowded trying to see the panels.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM

If you hae enough time and are planning a day trip, this might be of interest. Friends of mine went to Giverny in the morning and saw Monet's garden etc and then came back to Paris and went to l'Orangerie in the afternoon. They felt that it was a really lovely day. I don't recall them mentioning long queues at that time of the day.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

I think we will visit the Orangerie on March 21, a Friday evening, as it is open until 9 PM on Fridays. Any ideas how crowded it will be then?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

I don't think it stays crowded all day. We went around 4pm in April and there was no one waiting to get in.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

I think a lot of this depends on the tourist season. I was there yesterday and it wasn't very crowded. Probably in March it'll still be the case.

People should check the opening hours before going. I think the museum opens at 9 am, but when I went I discovered that that's for groups. Individual visitors aren't allowed in until 12:30 pm.

I think opening hours can vary by season also -- as for other Paris tourist attractions. So it's important to check. The info I know is correct for now, but the website should have the most current info.

Not that much time is needed, in my opinion. On the ground floor when you enter, Monet's Waterlilies get their own oval galleries. There are two, each with four paintings, if I remember right.

In the "lower mezzanine" there's the bookstore. In the basement/lower level, the permanent collection. My guess would be about 100 paintings, maybe a couple more or fewer.

I think I spent about 40 minutes there since I had to go to the airport.

Here're some photos I took yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/3x44qe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -