Can you tell me about the Louvre?

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell me about the Louvre?

What is your favorite spot, exhibit, hall, wing, sculpture, painting? What do you think are NOT TO MISS, besides Mona. Is there some little favorite area that you love that most people don't see?

And what about lunch there? And shopping? Any great souvineers to be bought at the gift shop? Any tricks to getting in to avoid the lines? Thanks all, in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Why don't you just go and discover for yourself what interests you? Too many people go to the Louvre with a check list and walk straight past hundreds of amazing artworks that aren't officially pronounced "MUST SEE" and then they crowd around the ones that and don't look at them, and instead read their guidebooks.

Just going and looking with an open mind would be a far superior way to tour the Louvre than any guidebook could give you.

I envy how much this will be a totally new experience for you!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Here's a link to 3 hours in the Louvre, which we did, and I believe hits most of the highlights.

http://www.gettingaway.com/directory...ris/louvre.htm
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I just discovered the exhibit on the history of the Louvre.

Lunch is very doable. There is lots of shopping. You can buy postcards of most of your favorites.

Start with a plan but be flexible when you get there. It is huge and you can't possibly do it all.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM

I suggest you consult the Louvre website first. Then acquire a copy of the green Michelin guide to Paris to get a good idea of what is in there. Then review the numerous suggestion you most probably will receive on this forum.

I say this because I think you have to make the decision for yourself after weighing your choices. The size of the museum is such that I find myself forced to prioritize so I can pick and choose.

Because Paris has a way of eating up time in a hurry, you might find that you don't have a whole day, or even a full half day for the visit. If that becomes the situation, I found that Rick Steves in his guide to Paris has a sensible plan of attack which, if followed, will allow you to see the highlights without becoming drowned in the detail.

If you don't know what your visit objectives are, chances are you will end your visit wandering aimlessly wondering what you are seeing.

I find the museum to be intimidating to be honest about it because of its size and complexity. Those two factors coupled with my desire see as much as I can lead me to enter the place with trepidation.

Yes, there is shopping in the museum. And there are places to eat, although I think the main restaurant at the Musee d'Orsay is far superior.

My favorite section was undoubtedly the sculptures and other artifacts fron Egypt and other Near Eastern sites.
Next would be the paintings by the Dutch and Flemish painters.

Bear in mind that paintings from the Impressionist period are in the Musee d'Orsay.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Neopolitan

I haven't been to the Louvre in a quite a few years. When I last went I did one of those "3 hour tours" as bookmarked above. I guess we were so involved in trying to follow the directions and getting to the right spots, I really don't remember experiencing much art. Yes, I do know we saw the Mona Lisa and Winged Victory. Anything else? I'm not sure. I'd try to avoid being so regimented. And this summer, I pledge to go back and stroll almost at random with a map in my hand. Maybe next time I'll remember something.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM

That 3 hours in the Louvre Tour is great!
We never used a tour, we just looked for the things we liked the best, wandered and discovered.. I still discover something new every visit, I always go to the Louvre and D'Orsay each visit , it would not be the same if I missed them
My all time favorites are Winged Victory ( I will never forget my surprise and the emotion felt coming upon it for the first time!) and the Hermaphrodite..amazing, gee, there is so much, my mind is blank
Mona , sadly, was surrounded and small and did not make the impression on me that I expected..I even enjoy standing in a quiet spot by one of the windows, looking out into the courtyard and thinking what it was like when it was a palace and people called it home !
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I loved the huge wall painting of Liberty Leading the People. It is about the French Revolution and it just moved me--being in France and all. I think it is by Delacroix. Really though, I just loved exploring and getting lost. The first time I went there I raced to the Mona and then Venus de Milo and a few others on my "list" but I didn't take time to really enjoy it. Subsequent times I went I focused on taking my time and seeing where I ended up so to speak, and found lots of things I loved much more than Mona. (She is totally over-rated, IMHO.)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM

The Mona Lisa has been relocated...Recommend entering through the entrance nearest (relatively unknown so rarely a line...and there's a check room there as well) and starting there. You'll beat all the crowds using the other entrances and checking off Winged Victory, etc., on their way...

Also recommend having a nice lunch or brunch before heading to the Louvre. For a nice rest and refreshments, our favorite spot within the Louvre is Cafe Mollier (I think it is) with the huge and lovely outdoor terrace.

There are gift shops throughout the Louvre. (Note that most of the books can be ordered for significantly less on Amazon.com and you don't have to drag them home on the plane.)

For "souvenirs", there's a fabulous mall underground adjacent to the Louvre - with wonderful shops. On one trip, when the forecast was 60's but temps were in the 80's for a week straight, I found a fabulous collection of adorable dressy cotton tee's for $10 apiece at one of the shops there, which I bought in several colors and could not have been more thrilled.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM

go to their website and look at the layout of the museum before you get there. Have an idea of the wings that would interest you the most...map it out. The place is massive so unless you like to wander hour after hour, have a bit of a plan. BTW - if you're looking for French impressionists, try the Orsay (see? I didn't say d'Orsay)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I just got back. There is just so much beautiful 'stuff' it can be overwhelming. I was able to walk right up to Mona Lisa before the lines got there (a rainy Thursday morning right at 9:30AM). Alas, when it is enclosed in such thick glass with overhead lights glaring, you can not see much detail.
My favorite painting was The Wedding Feast at Cana.

I think on this first trip I was most impressed with the sculptures in the Richelieu wing. There is a beautiful, quiet courtyard section full of sculptures where you can sit and ponder and compose yourself. Talk about atmosphere!

A lot of good books in the gift shop. Some cute trinkets also.

There is so much I did not see but I don't regret it because I saw so much. I will be back.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM

On the Louvre website there is some information about a "highlight" tour, you might want to check into that; it will give you a nice overview of the museum and you will be less likely to be totally overwhelmed.

Winged Victory is beautiful, unfortunately my first view of it was complete with several tourists climbing up on the base and clinging to the statue for a photo op.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM

On our first trip to paris, i used the Dummy's guide for the louvre. We earmarked the works we really wanted to see and made a beeline there. it worked very well.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
SAB

Some of my favorites are the large paintings such as Delacroix' Liberty Leading the People and the Coronation of Napoleon, because you know they will never be seen outside the Louvre--too big to travel. I also like the other DaVinci's in the Louvre--the ones most people pass by on the way to see the Mona Lisa. They are not behind glass so can be viewed close up. I also make it a point to see any Vermeer that is in a museum. Are you going because you think you have to, or are you going to see fabulous art? If you are going to see some fabulous art remember art is subjective--as others have suggested, go with an open mind and no must see list. If you are going because you think you have to, any guidebook will give you directions to the pieces that many believe they have to see i.e. Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa and Winged Victory.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I don't think anybody could say what is not to miss in the Louvre. Mostly everything there is of major importance providing you have some interest in this particular kind of art/antiquities . You should pick items of interest for you and plan enough time to se them at your leisure. That's true for any large museum, actually.

For instance, I like the decorative art sections, sumerian antiquities and medieval items. The greek vases are impressive, too. Mosty, I don't caere for paintings. How likely is it that some random person would share the same interests?

If you just want to know what my prefered area is, it's the medieval art. But I wouldn't necessarily advise you to visit it rather than, say, the Napoleon III's rooms.

In any case, you must know that sections of the Louvre are closed on specific days. So, if you really want to see a specific area, make sure that it will be open on the day you'll visit the Louvre.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I suggest getting the audio tour of the highlights. I really enjoyed the room of the life of Catherine de Medici. I think she commissioned the paintings to show all of the great things she did in her life. I don't think she had an ego problem! Also enjoyed the David painting of the crowning of Napolean. There were a few other Davids that were interesting nearby. Aside from looking at what the museum says are the "not to miss", it is a very individualized thing and you are better off picking an area that sounds interesting and go there or just wander. I avoid the lines by getting a museum pass and then go in the side door on the rue de Rivoli side and walking in. I like the museum pass because if there are lots of people there when I am trying to look at things, I leave and go back later and I don't have to pay or wait again. I usually do this museum in multiple visits because it can be very overwhelming. Have fun!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Well, I say - "not to be missed" are the Napoleon II apartments...
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Neopolitan

Scarlett, the next time you're dreamily looking out the window thinking about those picturesque times when people called in home, just remind yourself of three pairs of words:

Heavy Clothes
No airconditioning
Sans deodorant

That'll bring you back to reality!

LOL

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

The "greatest hits" that most people want to see are the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, and to a lesser extent, the Winged Victory. You can see them all in about an hour. There are a quarter-million other works of art on display, but the vast majority of visitors are not interested in them.

Much of the museum is not air-conditioned, and even in winter the museum is overheated and stuffy. There is no air movement, so this means that you are likely to sweat while visiting unless you are dressed in very cool clothing.

The area around the Mona Lisa and an increasing number of other areas in the museum now prohibit photography of any kind.

The crowds are found around the two greatest hits. There are fewer people in other areas, and places like the Richelieu wing with its many sculptures are positively quiet most of the time, even during peak hours.

Overall, unless you are extremely interested in art, all you need to see at the Louvre is the greatest hits. I have yet to encounter clients who really wanted an in-depth visit to the Louvre, but I'm sure there are a few out there, somewhere, especially if they are staying in Paris for two weeks or more and can spare several days to see the museum.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Liberty leading the People is about the 1830 Revolution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -