pragues airpost

Feb 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

pragues airpost

I will be departing out of Prague by airplane and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best and cheapest way to get to the airport. I would like to take the bus or taxi. Where is the airport located and how fare is it from the old town.
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM

The cheapest route is definitely using public transportation, which will set you back around a dollar or two. I don't have the specifics in front of me, but you take the metro to the end of one line, then take a 20 minute or so bus ride to the airport. It is by no means a difficult transfer, but if you're not used to riding buses and dealing with bus schedules, it might be intimdating.

I would estimate the entire trip takes around 45 minutes. Just about any guidebook should give you the specifics as far as metro line and bus number.
Feb 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM

We had an early flight out so it took us about 20 minutes to get to the airport by cab called by the hotel(I'm allergic to luggage on public transport). I don;t remember the cost - it was 3 years ago - but it was very inexpensive - I'm sure less than $20 with tip.

I would ask your hotel for the best options - they can often get you the best rates on a trip like that. (We once had a white stretch Mercedes - mirrored ceiling and everything - arranged by the hotel concierge take us to the Vienna airport for less than a regular cab would have charged.)
Sep 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Cab is $30/$35 at least. I was just there one month ago.

Cheapest way is to take the Metro green line to Dejvicka (end of the line). Hop on the bus going to the airport. You cannot miss it, as everyone will be holding luggage. Allow 40 mins from the center of town. Bus stops right in front of the terminal.

Another option is the Cedok van that meets at Namesti Republiky, and also in Malostranska Namesti, I think. It is cheaper, but maybe still around $15 USD. Metro to bus is literally about $1.50, and all the locals do that. Very easy.
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM

It shouldn't be $35, but will be around $25-30 now, in my experience. That's based on a fare of around 500-600 CK, which is about what private drivers charge when your hotel arranges it (at least that's what I paid last couple times -- although most recent was last year). You can see that rate online on some airport transfer websites (eg, Prague Airport Shuttle). It's pretty cheap if you have three people as it's a flat rate for the group whether 1 or 3 people.

You can get group shuttle vans for only a couple hundred CK, as I recall, as I used one from the airport -- it's cheaper because they put in 8 people or so to the van. At the airport, you just get in one and wait for it to fill up, but I don't know if you can reserve that to go back. All the services I see online talk about you reserving the whole van to go back.

A taxi used to be about $20 some years ago, but isn't any more because the USD has declined so drastically against the CK in the last five years.

Here's one that will allow you to book one seat but in a group van, so you have to wait for them to collect others
http://www.123-prague.com/

That company appears to have the cheapest rates I've seen -- it looks like only US$22 one-way if you book it on your own (for 1 or 2 people).

If you don't mind the bus plus metro, that can work.