Search

Prague Walking distance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:31 PM
djl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Walking distance

How far of a walk is it from the border of Prague 1/2, Navratolova St., to the old town square? Does anyone know?
Thanks,
DJL
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM

I don't exactly know the address you mentioned, but Praga is a small area which you can travel on foot. I think Praga 1 and 2 are less than 1/2 hours to reach if you know the direction because they have many narrow streets like a maze.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Intrepid

Don't forget Prague has an excellent Metro system as well as many very easy to use tram lines. The "Old Town" area is fairly compact and easily walkable.

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 04:50 AM

If this is the street that is behind the New Town Hall area the distance does not look to be too great. I think walking is definitely the way to go. I am not good with distances but was in Prague the end of July and have my map so I looked. If you are defintely going to Prague soon I recommend getting Streetwise Prague map. I got it at a bookstore. It is a laminated map and very easy to use. Also, Prague has a good tram system and metro inside the city area where most of the site seeing is. Otherwise there is a bus system (which we rode one day) and it is good also. However, unless you are great at public transportation you should plan ahead or get advise from a local. Hope this helps. I loved Prague!!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 05:06 AM
ira

Hi djl,

You can find an interactive map of Prague, with a scale, at http://www.interprague.com/maps/map_of_prague.htm
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I know that area because I've taken the tram several times near there -- there's a big stop at Lazarska for the tram which goes over past the national Theatre and across the river.
I would not walk to Old town Sq from there, but you could. I think it's over a mile, maybe about 12 blocks.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Navratilova to Old Town Square is TOTALLY walkable. I stayed on Zitna (corner of Mezibranska)for three weeks last summer, and walked it all the time. It will not take you more than 15 minutes, unless you are are a really slow walker.

Public transportation is not convenient to this spot, as Old Town does not have any trams or metro stops right in the center. The only options for metro would be Mustek or Museum to Staromestka, but you would still end up walking a lot. There are trams along Jungmannova, and you could take #9 to Narodni Trida & transfer to #18. Again, much easier to walk, but if it's pouring rain, you could do part public trans.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:10 PM

djl, if it is very cold you won't want to walk very far! Last Xmas my friend and I were stuck in Old Town on New Year's Day, and none of the cafes opened until one hour past their usual opening time (9am instead of 8am). It was so cold we resorted to riding around on trams until 9! It's a good 20 minute walk through the center of town from there to Staromestske Namesti (Old Town Sq.), a very pleasant one in nice weather. There are many trams which you can catch. If you're not familiar with a city a tram system can seem daunting, but in Prague they're very convenient, fun to ride in (because you get to see the city), and WARM! If you're asking because you're considering staying on this street, it is a convenient location. However, it is in a more modern part of town than I would choose to stay in, if I was being very choosy.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Intrepid

Suppose it all may bdepend on 1) How fat you are; 2) How fit you are; 3)Whether or not you enjoy walking since none of us seem to have totally answered the question or have differed on the answer. You may just have to go over and find out for yourself, unfortunately.