Prague, please help with itinerary.

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague, please help with itinerary.

This is our first time to Prague, we will be there for three days this month.

We want to see the major tourist sites, cafes, "prague castle," "charles bridge," "the jewish quarter," the municipal building for dinner and beer. And???

Any suggestions in organizing our stay to get the most out of our time would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:50 AM

Personally, I would at least CONSIDER doing one of the organized tours which gives you a good overall view of the city. The part of Prague which most people enjoy is very walkable; trams and Metro are easy to use. The Castle complex itself can occupy a good deal of time if you wish it to.

In terms of "organizing" YOUR time..well, if you haven't gotten a good guidebook or at least looked at the many items on the Internet about Prague and Prague tourism I suggest you do that.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM

Prague is a very easy city to walk around or take subways and buses. Enjoy looking at the buildings and small statues tucked everywhere.
one day we saw the castle then walked down the hill to the Charles bridge and on to the main square. We did the jewish quarter and some museums the next day with a dinner river cruise at night(don't miss the cruise).The last day more museums.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:54 AM

Hi
Let me suggest the Streetwise Prague map, all the map you will need, and, that if you haven't already, that you click on Destinations at the top of this screen and go to the fodors info on Prague. Lots of suggestions there, and also at frommers.com (good walking routes) and at jasoncholt.com

I have a file on Prague, if you'd like to see it, email me at [email protected]
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:10 AM

We spent Christmas day last year wandering around Vysehrad and quite enjoyed it (though it was bitterly cold!). It's a tram ride away from most other sites, has nice views, a Cathedral, cemetary with a few famous types there (Dvorak and Neruda, for example), etc, etc.

Prague made me think of Venice - I know, strange comparison, but they are both the type of cities you just want to walk and walk and walk around because everywhere you turn: beautiful! Have fun!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM

It sounds like you have a guidebook? I think the best way to plan itineraries and stuff ahead is to have a map of the city so you can generally see where things are -- essential for planning. Even if you don't want to buy one ahead of time (which I prefer to do), a good guidebook should have a serviceable one for planning.

My suggestion is just what works best for me in any city -- group the planned day's activities by part of the city. For Prague, the castle area and Mala Strana might be one day -- the Jewish section and Old Town square could be another. The bridge is between the two, of course, and I'm sure you'll be around it without planning too much. One plan would be to do the castle complex (which is at the top of the hill), walk down to Mala Strana and then across the bridge. YOu might also just plan the Jewish Quarter and area for one full day (starting with the cemetery and synagogues), throwing in the museum in St Agnes cloister over that way, if you like that kind of thing (great Medieval Bohemian art). YOu could then walk up towards the Municipal House from that area and do a little shopping in a great dept store on the way--my favorite, the Kotva dept store, right near Namesti Republicky metro stop. The final day, you could just concentrate on Old Town Square (add the bridge here, if you want) and the cafes and shops in that area.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:06 AM

If you like classical music, there are numerous concerts every single day and people are passing out leaflets on them in the major spots (like old town square). These are usually in beautiful churches or palaces so that you get beautiful music in gorgeous settings. The two really big concert halls, Rudolfinum and the Municipal House, may also have concerts while you're there.

A small museum which I like very much is the Alfons Mucha museum. I really like his work, altho I guess it isn't "great" art I think it is very pleasant to look at. He also did one of the best IMHO stained glass windows in the big cathedral in the castle complex.

There are two St. Nikolas churches, one in old town square and one in Mala Strana. Both are beautiful, but the one in Mala Strana is amazingly ornate. You might or might not like it (I do) because it is probably over the top for some people's tastes, but it is certainly worth looking at. I think they are charging a fee, but if you combine it with a concert there, you can see it and have music for one price!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Your comments and suggestions were awesome! Thank you!
"Prague made me think of Venice" Jenner, this comment made me realize just how much I am going to enjoy Prague because Venice is a place that I WILL return to one day. It was a magical place.

Christina, your comments on walking around, planning our days were very helpful.

Elaine, I will email you. Thank you for sharing.

Judya, Your comments are helpful, thanks.

Topman, ok, we will CONSIDER a tour. Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM

Sorry, darling, but I have been to Venice three times, and have been to Prague. I don't think the cities are anything alike. (Prague is very Art Noveau and Gothic, Venice is Byzantine. There are also no canals in Prague.)

If you want to read about my trip to Prague, bring up "Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha" in the seach box.

Cheers,
John G.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM

You didn't get my point, John... I wasn't saying Prague and Venice were at all similar EXCEPT in that they are both lovely to just get lost and wander around in, to take it all in. Photo opportunity at every turn, that sort of thing. Can you argue with that?

Ahh, well, I will just assume you didn't actually read my original comment because you don't normally seem that thick.