Prague locations

Search

Prague locations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague locations

I will be travelling to Prague next fall and staying there for 3 days. It will be my first trip there.
Where would be the best location to stay? I hear old town is the best?
Also any suggestions on budget type hotels would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:34 AM

The site http://www.inyourpocket.com, then Prague, then accommodation, has a good annotated list of hotels that will help you.

[email protected]
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:15 AM
ira

Hi mike,

May I suggest that you start with the miniguide to Prague at www.fodors.com?
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Do take a look at the guide for hotels on this site, click on Hotels above, and scroll down to Europe.

FYI, the tourist parts of Prague are quite close together, so it really is not that big a difference if you stay in the Old Town, Mala Strana, near Wenclesclas Square, or further along the river. It is all pretty much walkable or a quick tram ride away.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Tat

Went to http://www.inyourpocket.com

How to convert their money ?

Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 10:22 AM

("listening" intently for advice) I too have been searching for the past few weeks (and am awaiting my tour books from Amazon) to determine the most recommended area to stay in Prague.

Are there any areas of Prague that have a much stronger concentration of tourists? What about noise levels - are any areas much better than others? I've found reasonable and recommended accommodations in each area of Prague but like mike_b12 am still at a loss as to the benefits and pitfalls for each general area.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:09 PM

I would stay in Prague 1 area hotels. + prague 2- there is hotel Don Giovanni
very good, clean and it has a tram-subway station right outfront. Very
close to city center only 10 min. by tram.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM

hiphillips2, I also would suggest staying in Prague 1 for a first-time tourist. That is a large area (both Old Town and Mala Strana) but you can't go too far wrong in location that way and it will be convenient for tourism. There are also many hotels in that area. There are sub-areas within Prague 1, of course: Mala Strana, Hradcany, Josefov, Old Town and even parts of New Town are officially Prague 1, I think. They are all fine, although I think Hradcany not quite as convenient (that's the area right around the castle) and also Nove Mesto (New Town).

I think noise would be determined by the quality of your hotel and it's exact location. It will be noisier, as in all those kind of cities, if you have a hotel right on the Old Town square or the main streets leading from Charles Bridge (ie, Karlova) where a lot of tourists gather and mill around.

Yes, there are parts of Prague with more tourists -- Prague 1 and the area right around the bridge in particular (an area I'd avoid), as well as around Old Town square. I personally like the Josefov (Jewish Qtr) as it is quieter and less touristy, but a walkable distance from Old Town Sq.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 05:51 PM

Hi, I just got back from Prague a week ago and have to say I would prefer to stay around the old town square area.

As the others have said Prague 1 covers a large area and I personally wouldn't go further out, also some of the outer areas are not too safe, I believe.

Check out www.jasoncholt.com who gives advice on safety in other areas where hotels are situated.

Must say I never felt threatened at all, must have been too cold for the pickpockets Prague has a reputation for!

I didn't find it noisy or too busy being just behind the main square, but it must depend of course on the time of year and also which days you stay.

Obviously the summer will be a lot busier than this time of year,but having said that the main square was packed because of the Christmas Market and live concerts,but we couldn't hear the noise from our hotel.

We arrived in Prague on a Monday and left on Saturday morning which is probably the quietest time to be there.

I agree with Christina that the area around the Charles Bridge is very busy, even at this time of year and not somewhere I would want to stay.
We had thought about Hotel U Zlate Studny before we booked,it looks lovely but when we saw its location were glad we had gone for the Ungelt area.

I suppose it depends where you want to be at night?

We walked for miles in the daytime but I knew that at night once I'd got back to my hotel and rested my aching feet, I didn't want to be going on trams or getting taxis home.
I just wanted to go to bars and restaurants in the old town within easy walking distance.

Any girls planning on Prague,please make sure you have thick soled boots. Believe me you feel every cobble under your feet in the end