prague hotel dilemma

Search

prague hotel dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prague hotel dilemma

Having booked flights to prague for september, i have come up with a choice of 2 hotels which both look nice. The first being hotel josef and the second hotel andels has anyone stayed at either of these properties, as we have never been to prague before i am not to sure which has the best location, or is the best value ( not a huge difference in price, hotel josef coming out at about £20 extra per night)Also any recommendations for restaurants that i must not miss.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
pat

there was a recent post here with the same title.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM

I've been living in prague for a year now and have never heard of these hotels. what's the address??? location??? I'd like to help, but need more info. How much do you want to spend? I can recommend some other options if i know your budget. you can email me if it's easier. [email protected]
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks laurie, Andles is at Stroupeznickeho 21, Prague 5 and Josef is at Rybna str 20, Prague 1 Old Town, we are looking to spend no more than 220 euros per night, we like modern funky hotels.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:52 AM
rex

Nice to get the help of a local. You might also benefit from similar insider help at http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/index.html or www.athos.cz

I can't comment on any hotel in Prague; we greatly enjoyed our stay in an apartment there (well, two actually; there were five of us). Booked it through athos.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Kate

Hotel Josef is the much better choice being very centrally located within five minutes of the Old Town Square. Andel's is a little way out but is located opposite Andels metro station - although the Prague metro has become rather dodgy of late for muggings and bag thefts. Andel's hotel frequently offers heavily discounted rates on lastminute.com
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Stay in Prague 1. Location location location.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I agree with Big Russ. I would not choose Andel. It's in a busy, modern and redeveloped area somewhat distant from the center.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM

I agree with the above. I would be happy with any location in Prague 1. That's my priority for a stay in Prague.

I'm sure there may be worthwhile exceptions to this but they're there just to prove the rule!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM

I would choose the Josef, no question. I wouldn't even consider the other given the location if they are about the same right. I have stayed near the Josef a couple times and it is a very nice area and very convenient. There are several other nice Czech "luxury" hotels right near there -- Hotel Pariz and Grand Hotel Bohemia. It's a great area.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Definitaly the hotel josef is the better of the 2, simply because of the location. If I may, however, I would suggest the Renesance (spelling?) over either. I"m not sure exactly where the Josef is, but the Ren is the PERFECT location, and I can't imagine it being over 220 euro/night. Also, if I remember correctly the Marriot is right across the street which should be nice as well.
as far as restaurants are concerned, don't miss kampa park, right on the river with a great view and killer food. that was a treat for me! Also, Pravda was great, but is def 2nd runner up to KP. It's in the Starometska area, in the Jewish quarter. My all time favorite, however, is a little place called Quedos. It's in the neighborhood Zizkov on Kubelikova street, near the metro Jirziho Z Podobrad on the green line. Not many travelers know about it, but if you want authentic czech food with a quaint atmosphere, this is your place, and it's CHEAP!!! Def the best restaurant/deal in town.
I hope I can help. Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help, i am going to book the Hotel Josef today and i will try lauries restaurant recommendations, many thanks to you all once again, and i will let you know how the trip went, on my return
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:50 AM

I think you have made the right choice. Being in the center in Prague will greatly enhance your trip. I think you'll love Prague. It was actually my first European city and it is still either one or two on my list, vying with Paris for top place IMHO.