Prague and Berlin

Jan 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Prague and Berlin

We are planning to go to Prague next month with a few days in a to-be-determined-second metropolis. I commonly see Prague-Budapest and Prague-Vienna pairings. How come I have not heard any mention of Prague-Berlin itineraries? Is there a particular tactical reason these two cities aren't visited in one trip, or is it just chance? If anyone HAS visited these two cities in one trip (say, over the course of 9 days?), I'd welcome any suggestions you might have.
Thanks in advance!
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Yes- I've done Berlin to Prague - and then on to Budapest. Getting from Berlin to Prague is very easy by train (check out bahn.de). There may also be air - but the train trip from/to center cities is so short it doesn;t seem to make sense.

We saw some pretty scenery and some dull scenery and had a light lunch (inexpensive and not at all bad) and were in Prague by 2:30 I think.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM

With 9 days you might also want to stop in Dresden to see its highlights.
Jan 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM

I've done the Prague-Berlin trip three times with a stopover in Dresden; the entire trip without a stopover takes about five or so hours by rail. Take an early train.

If you want a real contrast and yet be in two places with lots to see and do the Prague-Berlin combo can be a very good one IMO.
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM

We visited Prague and Berlin in late November. My trip report is posted here at Fodor's.

It was a great trip, and, as Dukey pointed out, the contrast between the two cities makes them an excellent combination.

We had about 3-1/2 days in each city.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM

sir911
I did the Berlin-Prague by train itinerary back in 2000. Beautiful ride passing through Dresden (I wish I had the time to stop there!). That was before the Check Republic joined the EU; the train stopped at the frontier on the German side and German immigrantion agents came and stamped the passports for our exit, and then the train went a little further on and stopped in the Check side, and Check agents came in to stamp our passports with admission stamps.

I remember I was sort of tense, because I entered and exited Germany with my Brazilian passport, and the Check Republic with my AMerican one (I am a dual citizen and, at that time, Brazilian citizens needed visas to enter the Check Republic while Americans did not). But everythin went smoothly.

The same way when I rode the train from Prague into Vienna - just perfect !

Wish I could do it again...
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Rufus, could you please provide me with a link to your trip report (I tried to search for it to no avail!).
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Prague Berlin Trip Report

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...TFirefly&fid=2