Positano vs Capri

Search

Positano vs Capri

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano vs Capri

Hi, my husband and I will be taking a Mediterranean cruise in a few weeks. We stop in Naples for a day, but have decided to visit either Positano or Capri instead (we've been to Naples already). Any suggestions on which one to visit? Can we do both in one day?
Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM

We've been to both and strongly favor the Isle of Capri.

And, No - I don't think one can do both in one day. Anyway, Capri has everything that Positano has and then some!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM

Capri has more to "see" and "do", along with good but pricier shopping and food.

Positano is mostly good food and shopping in a charming village setting.

Both are beautiful, just different.

I would probably opt for Capri.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM

OOOOOH! I am so envious! My husband and I just returned from both Capri and Positano. While we loved both I would opt for Capri as a day trip. It will be crowded, but if you can find some out of the way spots, it will be worth it. Positano is physically more grueling than I expected ( we are only in our 30's!)and the beauty of it is mostly the vistas from the sea. If you travel to Capri (also a quicker trip from Naples than Positano)please do walk around outside Capri town. Take a bus to Anacapri and ride the chairlift. Shop for the less expensive things there. Visit Villa San Michelle and the little church. Then hop back to Capri town and walk down Via Tragara all the way to the end. If you can handle it, try and eat at a restaurant down the long and steep path called La Fontalina. Woth the trip down and going back up isn't nearly as difficult as you may think it will be. It took us about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM

I'll go against the grain. I've been to both and would spend the time in Positano. Personally, I didn't care for Capri, a little to pretentious for me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM

Both nice and have been to each and feel more area to see in Capri. Memorable was a walk which brought us to a terrance where, a long ago king through his lover from and then the coolest house on rock with flat roof of ~200' and lots of steps up to roof, just very interesting. In 20's it was owned by a opera or silent movie star, cannot recall. NY Times did a piece on it just after I saw it back in late 80's. Beautiful sights on walk.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM

That was the home of Curzio Malaparte, Italian writer and film director. It's now known as the Casa Malaparte.

http://tinyurl.com/6jkx2l

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM

OHHH, you are good, TuckH!!!! How did you find that picture? Yes, that is the shot, from side and I have that and also a head on, dead square with steps going up, and up and up . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM

Capri
How do you want to spend a night?
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM

Capri! The views from Monte Solaro and Villa Jovis are stunning!

I've only visited Positano as a day trip and while it looks beautiful from afar, it's just OK once you're there.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM

andrew8- it sounds like akl1107 is on a cruise ship so she and husband will see Capri or Positano and then return to ship and not have night on land.

Most times when ship stops you can take their tours for that area, or do your own thing; they are doing their own. On the cruises I took we would have to be back at a certain time as ship would leave then for next port. Bet this is what poster is doing with a late afternoon call to ship for departure.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM

Thank you Deb, I thought they were staying ashore.