Is it worth spending a night in Capri?

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Is it worth spending a night in Capri?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be in the Amalfi Coast area for 3 days this July. We're looking to stay in Positano (as long as we're able to find reservations! procrastinators here). From Positano we want to take day trips to Pompeii and Capri.

A couple of posts I've read strongly recommend spending at least a night in Capri to experience it without all the day-trippers. I'm curious - what does Capri have to offer at night that Positano does not? While my boyfriend and I are in our 20s, we're not looking for nightclubs, just perhaps some vibrant places to get a drink/dinner. Also, is Capri comparable to Positano as far as prices?

Bottom line: Do you think it's worth spending a night in Capri considering we're only going to be in the area for 3 days?

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM

No.
Stay in Positano and do a day trip to Capri.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM

I agree..if you only have 3 days in the area...just do a day trip to Capri....but get an early boat..and get the mos tout of the day.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM

What hotels would you recommend in Positano. Is better to make Sorrento your base.We are looking for beautiful scenery and charm, what do you think,.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:12 PM

I've stayed in Capri and I've stayed in Positano. I'd personally prefer spending my nights in Capri to spending them in Positano. You can do a day trip to Positano from Capri just as easily as doing a day trip to Capri from Positano.

There is not a more romantic spot in the world than strolling a path in the moonlight on Capri.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 08:39 PM

We did a day trip to Capri and found that worked well with our limited time (same as you). We stayed in Sorrento at the Hilton up on the hill and walked down through the citrus groves to catch an early ferry and spent the whole day walking/hiking around. Once off the beaten path, the day trippers weren't an issue. We also stayed in Positano at L'Ancora (next door to La Sireneuse) - everything there was expensive but the town and views were everything I'd envisioned.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your helpful responses