Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 nights in Positano or 2 and 1 night in Capri? ON A BUDGET

Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I will be in Italy for almost two weeks in May 2008. The plan is 4 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Amalfi, 3 nights Flornece, and 2 nights Venice. My question is do I stay in Positano all three days or should I only stay 2 and then one in Capri? The other factor is money as there are 4 of us, and I would only like to spend about $60 per person per night or around there. I found Pensione Maria Luisa which is 70 euros a night in Positano but am also looking for other suggestions. What do you think?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM

villa rosa gets great reviews in Positano. Our family of four is staying there in late June for 270/nt. It's a little more than your budget, but you might look into it.

Not sure how to advise you about the Capri vs. positano questions, as I went back and forth a million times. We finally decided to do an overnight in Capri.

good luck!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM

IMO an overnight in Capri is very important to enjoy the "Capri atmosphere".
I could say that there are two Capri: the first has its duration from the arrival of the first boat until the departure of the last one; the second is the complementary time and you should live this also, that does not mean nightlife but the magic colors of sunset, the walk along the not crowded streets, the delicious dinner and, . . . look at the sky, maybe there is the famous "luna caprese" !

Anyway, you say Amalfi and then you say Positano: where are you planning to spend the 2 nights ?

Ciao.

Vincenzo
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

That's what I am trying to decide! It's sounds like everyone is rooting for Capri so maybe we spend our first two nights in Capri and then our last night in Positano? What do you think? We have three nights total and we will be coming from Rome. We do not intend to rent a car. It that going to be a problem? I will have to look up Villa Rosa as maybe they don't have a minimum stay like Pensione Maria Luisa.
Jan 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM

We love Capri - but if you find a place in Capri that rents for that inexpensively please share it with the rest of us. I would love to have a Capri connection that would rent that cheaply.

You'll love both Capri and Positano.
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Without a doubt stay in Capri. It is heavenly!! Hotels in Anacapri (as opposed to Capri town) are generally cheaper.
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

How hard or easy is it to get from Rome to Capri and how long do you think it would take on public transportation? From what I have read I can take a bus or a train from Rome to Sorrento, right, and then what? Is there a ferry close by to get to Capri or is hard to get to? It seems like overall pensiones are cheaper in Capri vs. Positano-would you agree? Villa Rosa is out of our price range, unfortunately.