Notices

Capri & Positano

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Daniela

Capri & Positano

hello travel experts! I am traveling to Positano and Capri and I am looking for 3 suggestions for my husband and I:

1. What hotels would you recommend? I don't know if we should stay near the beach or near the town center.

2. What part of the Capri Island should we stay on?

3. How long would you spend in Positano and Capri. I am thinking 2 1/2 days in Positano and 1 1/2 on Capri. What do you think?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Marty

Daniela: Everyone seems to have different opinions about where and how long to stay in places. I can only tell my experience. We stayed in Positano for 5 days at the Albergo California which is up away from the beach just beyond the "main square". It is a small town, so the walk was not bad up and down. We were near the bus stop which was convenient for land travel that we did. At night, I cannot imagine that the view can be better down on the beach; from up high it is so gorgeous. I only went to Capri for a day and did not like it at all. There were hordes of people, and, after the views from Positano, I thought the views of Capri were just not much. I was very happy when it was time to return to Positano. My much younger niece and nephew spent the Amalfi part of our trip on Anacapri on the other side of the island, and they were sorry that they chose Capri. My opinions only-others will see it very differently I am sure. I just love Positano and the Albergo California! I cannot wait to take some friends there next summer.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 05:08 PM
David

We stayed in Positano an took a day trip to Capri in June. We very much enjoyed the day trip to Capri. We took a tour boat around the island and went to the Gratta Azurra. We then took the trolley to the town of Capri. While it was jammed with tourists (including my self), we were able to walk to less crowded areas and enjoyed isolated gardens and other areas of the town that were only inhabited by the locals. I guess that one's experience, to a large extent is what you make it. If I had it to do again, I would not have missed Capri.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:20 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Daniela
Did stay at Anacapri at the Europa Palace but this is a very high priced
hotel. In Capri itself, had lunch a
couple of times at the Hotel Syrene..
It would be our choice should we return
to Capri. check into www.capri.net or
www.capri.it/ for good description of
hotel. Normally we have stayed in
Sorrento, mainly because of the very
wonderful of the Bay of Naples, etc and
used Positano and Capri for day trips
in addition to Naples and Pompeii.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Kim

Hi Daniela,

I was in Capri in June and absolutely loved it. We took a day trip to Positano while we were staying in Capri. Like everyone says, you'll get a lot of different opinions on which is better. Capri was one of my favorite places and I'd stay there in a second. The people that I know who didn't like Capri so much were the ones that only went there for a day...the best time in Capri is after 4pm when all the daytrippers leave on the last hydrofoil out of there. We stayed at the Quisisana and although it was expensive, it was well worth it. It's more like a resort so you can relax by the pool overlooking the ocean. Personally, I liked staying in Capri but I'm sure Anacapri is just as nice to stay in. Good luck...

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Val

Hi Daniela,

I agree with Kim about Capri after 4pm. However I try and avoid one night stays. I think if you stay on Capri just one night you'll spend too much time getting there and settled in your hotel. If you can't spend another night on Capri, I'd say spend all your nights in Positano. It is a lovely place and you can pick from day trips to Capri, Amalfi or Ravello.