Please help with airport/train station logistics in Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok- still working on plans for our September trip to Ravello and Positano, and I have two transportation questions for you experts. We are flying into Naples on Easyjet from London Stansted, and have reserved a rental car through Avis with pick-up at "Napoli Capodichino Aeroporto." My question is, is this the only airport in Naples- I'd hate for our Easyjet flight to be at one airport and our car rental pickup at another. On Easyjet's website, they don't give the name of the airport in Naples- they just give the code NAP. Second, at the end of the week, we drop our rental car off at "Napoli Stazione Centrale" and want to take the Eurostar to Rome from here. I notice several different train stations in Naples. Is this a good location to drop the car for a train to Rome, or are we at the wrong station for that? We want the easiest possible pick-up and drop-off for our flight and train connections. Thanks for any information you can share!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi

The website for NAP (capodichino) is http://www.gesac.it/. It has maps, etc.

The main station in Naples is Centrale. It shares space with Garibaldi. The ES* trains for Rome leave from here. Check to see whether your train leaves from NA Cle or NA Pga.

You do not want Napoli Mergellina or Campi Flegrei.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Myself I would take the easiest drop-off.
Meaning I would drop-off back at the airport and take either a taxi or bus to the train station. Rather than drive in Naples.
You'll already know how to get back to the airport and where exactly to drop-off the car.
Drivers in Naples have a bad reputation, I've only seen it as a pedestrian but I think it is well deserved.
You might get lost.
And when you do find the station it might be difficult to find *exactly* where the drop-off is.
Just my .02? . Regards, Walter

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:32 AM

I agree - save yourself a lot of stress (its' you vacation!) and drop the car off at the airport and taxi in. It's not all that far from downtown Naples. It can be crazy around the train station, and there are lots of pickpockets around waiting for you to be distracted, just like any other major city.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone. So, it won't take a lot of extra time and $$ to get from the airport back to the station? I agree that city driving (especially foreign city driving)is best avoided. I just don't know how far it is from the airport- not like London to Gatwick is it? If it's reasonably close, then I think it's a good plan to pick-up and drop-off at the airport.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:25 AM

It's definitely not that far from downtown. Unfortunately, I don't know the cost of taxi. If you drove downtown, it would take longer anyway, what with getting lost. You have a train to catch! The airport is right off the main highway going through the Naples area, northeast of town. The train station is also on the east portion of Naples.