Search

Car in Naples

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car in Naples

We are scheduled to pick up a car in Naples at the train station on via victor Emmanual. How difficult is it to get to the highway leading to Rome fron there?
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM

I'd only drive in Naples if I had a death wish...

Why are you picking up at the train station in downtown Naples? If you pick up at the airport, it's easy to get to the Rome highway. If you're coming into Naples by train from Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast, take the Alibus for 3 Euro to the airport.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
ira

Hi J,

>We are scheduled to pick up a car in Naples ...

You are kidding, aren't you?

Good advice from Z.

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"... at the train station on Via Victor Emmanuelle..."

Which station is this? I don't see this street (which with that name would be a big one) anywhere near Napoli Centrale.

I agree with Zerlina that I wouldn't drive in central Naples. Once you get even as far as the airport, it's not so bad.

But I'd train to Caserta (about 30 minutes) and pick up the car at the train station there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When driving in the south, I would arrive and pick up the car from the airport. The autostrada is about 500metres away, and from there it is relatively OK.

I would not wish to drive in Naples itself - I just don't have the courage. Neopolitan traffic makes even Palermo seem tame.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM

The distance from the train station to the Autostrada leading to Rome is less than two miles. HOWEVER, it will take you more than an hour. The trip to the Autostrada is downright dangerous with a car. Do what a previous person wrote-rent the car at the airport.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input - We have changed our car pick-up to the airport. we will be coming in by ferry from Capri on a Monday morning hopefully around 10:00. How easy is it to get a cab from the ferry port to the airport? How much should it cost?
Thanks again for the help
jhg
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Why do you have to go the airport to rent a car after coming off the ferry? There are car rental places near the ferry dock, in the Piazza Municipio. I have rented there at the Hertz facility, which is next door from the Alitalia office. From there, it it relatively easy to get to the Autostrada by going straight up the Via Toledo to the Tangentiale and the Autostrada entrance. While somewhat congested, Via Toledo is nowhere as bad as the traffic near the train station.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM

From the ferry port, you can also head South from there and you'll find the Autostrada signs about five kms. I was staying downtown in Naples and this was the best method, especially with heavy traffic.

The other method works too but it's lots of traffic until you hit the Tange.

Blackduff
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
rhy

I used to live in Naples many years ago and had a blast driving, but it is not for the faint of heart. Red lights are only a suggestion, lane lines don't mean anything, and one way streets are for going whichever way you want.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:48 AM
ira

Hi J,

>.. we will be coming in by ferry from Capri ...<

Why not take the ferry to Sorrento and get the car there?

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM

After reading this post my appreciation of my husband's driving ability has gone up and up. Several times we have driven into Naples and survived. It is not that difficult. But once there we have parked the car in the hotel and forget about it.
Last time we stayed in one of my favorite hotels the Grand HOtel Parker up in a hill. Knowing the right way to go down to town allowed us to realize that the taxis love to cheat tourist taking always the winding longest way possible. ...a fact of life.
WE also learnt that to go from the Hotel Parker to the sea side level there were hidden little paths with steps here and there and sometimes going through what I though were private gardens. All this charming secrets can be extracted from the hotel front desk, give it a try and you will find an amazing world in Naples.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Jane, you've certainly got a number of responses with different solutions to pick up the rental car from the ferry dock, Sorrento, airport, etc.

Now that you've changed to the airport, I think that is the best of all solutions for the reasons mentioned. It will cost a few dollars by taxi to the airport and maybe a bit of time, but I think you will be much less stressed.

In any event, buon viaggio!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM

From airport to the port (MOLO BEVERELLO) why don't you take a bus?
It's called "ALIBUS" and it leaves rom airport entrace every 20 minutes. It costs 3 EUROS and you can buy a ticket inside the bus.

I live in naples, if you need someone else please write me.
ciao ciao
Alex