Augsburg anyone?

Jul 7th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Augsburg anyone?

I'm planning a trip to Germany in December for myself and three friends. They've never been to Germany before, and have pretty much left the details up to me.

The idea is to check out the Christmas markets, eat German food, drink gluhwein, and just enjoy the festive holiday atmosphere.

So far, we've decided to spend four nights in Rothenburg and possibly make day trips to Nuremburg, Dinklesbuhl and Wurzburg via train - we will not have a car.

I'm considering Augsburg for the second four nights of the trip. It's only 40 minutes by train from Munich, so it looks to be a good base. From what I understand, hotels in Augsburg are less expensive than Munich and I know they have a nice Christmas market.

Have any of you, my fellow Fodorites, spent any time in Augsburg? Any suggestions for activities in the area and inexpensive hotels? (near the train station is preferred)

All help would be appreciated. I'm at a bit of an impasse.
Jul 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Intrepid

Augsburg is a very interesting city and includes a pedestrian-only area in the center. One hotel you might check out is the Ost am Koe which is four blocks from the bahnhof and directly adjacent to the old town walking area. It is small but very comfortable (ask about the rooms on the top 4th) floor. Great breakfast buffet and nicely decorated.

Jul 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM
jor

I stayed in Augsburg with a German friend for a few days. It dates back to Roman times (Augustus...Augsburg) and has lots of historic sites. a beautiful city.
Jul 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I loved Augsburg, too! But it was so long ago that I don't remember the hotel except that it was very cheap and there was a great breakfast. Also it wasn't close to the station.
Jul 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - I'll look into the Ost Am Koe.
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Mel: Just returned from a weekend in Augsburg and stayed at the Dorint Hotel. Close to the bahnhof - $77 per night rate - super breakfast, friendly staff, 11 floors. It is a modern hotel. About 1 block from a tram stop - and the tram takes you downtown in less than 5 minutes for 90cents. There are many sites there - and lots of history. If you want more info just send us an email. We have been living here and travelling all over Europe for a few years now.