Search

Please help! Milan/Last Supper Logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Milan/Last Supper Logistics

Hi, a couple of logistical questions:

We are arriving in Milan on April 4 and plan on going immediately to Venice for 4 nights then onto Como for 3 nights and then back to Milan Malpensa airport for departure. We are planning a relaxing romantic visit since my husband is working in Bagdhad and this is the first time we'll see each other in over 3 months. However I would really, really like to see the Last Supper if time/schedule allows.

1) What is the distance from Milan (Malpensa) Airport to the The Last Supper exhibit?

2) Where can I make advance reservations for The Last Supper

3) What is the estimated time needed to stand in line on a Sunday before Easter
4) Is this doable?!

Thanks much! - Maria
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Hi

I am also going to Milan in April and am keen to see The Last Supper too.(especially after reading the Da Vinci Code)
I have searched on this site and on a Italian tourist site but the links for the Last Supper reservations seem to be down. There are phone numbers but I don't speak Italian so am worried about using these. Any advice?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:57 AM

I recently called the number to reserve a time to see The Last Supper, and the operators do speak English. You need to call early in the morning or late at night US time to catch them open. offanrunning, I'd call today; I called about two months ago to reserve for May and there weren't many times left to choose from. They told us to be there 20 minutes ahead of our reserved time.

Here's the number:

(011)39-02-4987588
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Malpensa is at least an hour away from central Milan by taxi. Our hotel reserved a time for us and this was done well in advance of our visit. We would not have gotten in without the reservation as they were full.

We had a short wait before entering (we went toward evening)in an area with a place to sit. You are allowed in in a group (limited to a specific number I think) and we had sufficient time to really appreciate what we were seeing. It was a very moving experience. We also visited the church and I'm glad we did.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From the airport, you can take the train (Malpensa Express) to Milan. The ride is 40 minutes. It's about a five to ten minute walk to The Last Supper (depending on if you stop at the cookie store on the way).

We got their 20 minutes in advance. They told us to come back a few minutes before our scheduled time to rent an augioguide (2.5 Euros and worth it).

You get to spend 15 minutes inside.

You have to buy beforehand or you won't get in. If the website is down, you can try InItaly.com. I think they also sell museum tickets, but probably at an upcharge. I don't see why the line would be any longer at Eastertime since they only let so many people in each group anyway.

I'm glad I went, but it was not one of my top European highlights.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Jocelyn - thanks for the number! Just an FYI to anyone who is trying to make reservations, I called that number and they told me I needed to call another one. So, the "new" number is... 011/39/02/89421146. Just a tidbit of more info for anyone going to see The Last Supper - they have an English speaking tour at 9:30am that costs 11.25 Euros pp.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been a few years since we were there, but we saw the Last Supper without reservations. There is a "hopefuls" line for people without reservations, and entry is allowed as space permits (i.e., someone doesn't show up for their reservation or a tour group doesn't use all of its spaces).

We stood in the hopefuls line shortly before 6 p.m. and were inside within 30 minutes. I think the timing was the key -- by 6 p.m., organized tours are done for the day and most tourists with reservations would have opted for something earlier.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Milan last June and we stopped by to see the Last supper. It is pretty strange that you have to call to make rservations. We walked into the place and tried to make reservations and we we were told we had to call to do this. I have posted a trip report and some pictures from our trip on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com I also read the DaVinci code and it makes me want to go back to take a closer look

regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM
ira

topping
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM

What is the cost of the reservation? I tried going to the link provided by initaly.com and they are charging 18 Euros per ticket. Just wondering if it is the same price as calling. Thanks!