Search

2 Days in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Milan

Hi All,

This weekend my gf and I are off to Milan (we live in Dublin).

we are a couple of 20 somefings looking to experience as much of the milanese culture as we can in the short time we have. This is our itinery...

We'll be staying at the Best Western Hotel Major Milan (****) situated at Viale Isonzo 2, Milan 20135. Very close to CAIROLI Metro station. The 'station' sections below are designed to give me an idea of the location of each place. The colour is the colour of the line, the number is the number of stations between the hotel and the location and the letter is the direction (NSEW).

We arrive Saturday Morning at 11am and leave Monday morning at 11am.

Is there anything we should add or remove from this itinery?

Saturday
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II – Shopping/Eating – OLD
Times: 24 Hours Closed Sunday
Station: Duomo (RED 2 E)

Quadrilatero D’Oro – Shopping District
Times: 10:00-19:00 Sat Only
Station: Monte Napoleone (Yellow 3 E)

CHECK INTO HOTEL & Have Lunch

Castello Sforzesco - Palace
Times: 09:00-16:00
Station: Il Cairoli (Red 0)

Night
Navigli – Canals, Restaurants, Bars
Time: Late Afternoon, Early Evening, Late Night
Station: Porta Genova (Green 4 South)

Sunday
Pinacoteca Di Brera - Gallery
Times: 8:30-19:15

Piazza Del Duomo - Cathedral
Times: 9:45-12:45 & 14:45-17:30

Lunch
Somewhere

Santa Maria Delle Grazie – Convent & Location of the Last Supper
Time: Sun- 09:00-20:00 Sat- 09:00-19:00
Station: Cadorna Triennale (Red 1 W)

Cenacolo (The Last Supper) - Gallery
Times 8:45-18:45
Station: Concilliazione (RED 2 W)

Biblioteca Ambrosiana – Gallery
Times: 10:00-17:30

Basilica Di Sant’Ambrogio (The house of worship) – Old catholic monastery thing
Times: 15:00-17:00
Station: Sant’ Ambrogio (Green 2 S)

Night
Brera – City Area
Station: Lanza (Green 2 N)

Thanks in Advance,

Brisbanite
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

*bump*
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

*Bump*
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

The last supper is booked out 1.5 months in advance! I was told book but nobody mentioned to book that far ahead. I didn't even make the decision to go on this trip that far ahead! grrrr...

Anyone been there? Would it be possible to buy tickets from scalpers?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been a few years, but when we were in Milan we saw the Last Supper without a reservation. We were there in mid-October.

At that time, people and groups with reservations entered through the main door. Outside the door and forming to the right was a line of "hopefuls." If there are any empty "slots" as groups are formed for entry, these slots are filled by people from the line. We first stood in line at about 2 p.m. and waited 30 minutes. There didn't seem to be much movement, so we went to the nearby science museum and returned at about 5 or 6 p.m. After another 30 minutes of waiting, we were inside.

I like your schedule of activities. You've obviously got a map because you've located all the sights. Except for the farther-out places like Navigli and Quadrilatero D'Oro, you'll be able to walk everywhere. Your hotel is very well located.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. That's reassuring. I hope we get to see it. What did you think of Milan as a city?

I've heard a mix of positive and negative reports.

The negative reports are basically saying it isn't a tourist destination it's just a city.

The positive reports are basically saying it isn't a tourist trap it's a vibrant city with lots to do.

Both are hitting the same points. I guess some people travel to be surrounded by tourists and want to see nothing that isn't dressed up for tourists. Personally I figure going somewhere like Milan you get to experience real italian culture. I mean, really see what life is like there.

What do you think?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Is the Quadrilatero d'Oro the main shopping district? This is not out of the way; a short walk from the Galleria. Do have a look at the Armani shop on Via Manzoni. There's a nice place for lunch in the Via Bagutta; Paper Moon. Always crowded, they have pizza, pasta.
The Galleria is right by the Duomo; you may want to do that at the same time. A nice place for lunch near there is Peck; beautiful food shop. Or otherwise one of the places in the Galleria. Have a look at the original Prada shop there.
If you like fashion, maybe find time to go to 10 Corso Como. Very hip fashion/lifestyle store. There's a restaurant and bar too.
I like Milan; it quite a 'business' city; lots of well-dressed men and women everywhere. And the shopping is second to none!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Fashion isn't really my thing but I am very curious to see how this Armarni store can take up an entire block!

I found it quite funny at galleries Lafayette in Paris where they have a couple of floors in one building dedicated to womens clothing but an entire separate building dedicted entirely to mens clothing. It demonstrates a major cultural difference between us ozies and continental europeans.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:09 AM

Well, there's Armani interior, Armani Jeans, Emporio Armani, flowers, Armani chocolates, as well as the Japanese restaurant Nobu, and quite a nice coffee/sandwich place.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:11 AM

And go and have a drink in the lobby of the Four Season in Via Gesu; March is the prime shopping season for fashionistas in Milan, many of which stay in the Four Seasons. Great people watching!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:13 PM

As for whether I like Milano, I confess to liking any Italian town that ends in a vowel... Milano, Roma, Firenze, Siena, Amalfi, Portofino... You get the picture. Yes, Milan is a big city. There is traffic and smog but also a lot of things to see in just two days. You'll have a great time.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Oh Jean, I love your description "any Italian town that ends in a vowel". Me too! And Milano is wonderful IMO. Have a wonderful time Brisbanite.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice.

We did indeed have a wonderful time in Milan. Duomo was magnificient, the public transport Excellent, Taxi drivers Great, People very freindly and helpfull, Food 2nd to none!

We did not get to see everything we wanted to as there was far too much to see and do in 2 days.

All of the negative reports i've read about Milan were grossly exagerated.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see the Last Supper. We were told there was no way to see it without a booking. I don't blame Milan for this as it was copmletely a result of the fact that we organised this trip on short notice and couldn't get a reservation. In fact the fact that it is so well organised is encouraging. Every 15 mins 25 people get to see the painting. No lines, no crowds no waiting. It is very well organised.

One lowlight was Navigli. It appears they were in the process of cleaning out the canal as it was completely empty of water. Also, just about every building in the area was plastered in grafiti. But we still managed to find a nice restaurant and have a very nice meal.

I believe there are people who will alow one lowlight (like navigli) taint their entire memory of a trip such as this. They they focus on the negative and exagerate it.

I've heard people claim:
-There is nothing to do there except shop.
-The polution is so bad that the smell gets into your bed linen and you can't get rid of it!

I can confirm that both of these assertions are so far from the truth that if it weren't for the fact that these ppl were selfishly offering false travel advice i'd find it funny.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:11 AM

Thanks, Brisbanite, for your little trip report. We're going to Milan soon - so your report was very timely.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:24 AM

Jean: you've got me thinking now - are there any Italian towns which don't end with a vowel ?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM

Caroline, that's the point of the little joke. I don't think there are any town names that don't end in a vowel (when spelled as the Italians do).
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM

Brisbanite, I am so happy that you had a wonderful time in Milan. I too love that city. Thanks for reporting back.

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Jean: sorry for being dense !
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:16 AM

Thanks for this thread! We'll be visiting Milano for two days prior to joining a "Walking in Tuscany" tour in early May, and it will be our first time there on a vacation (I have been to Milan for business). We booked with a tour company that "guarantees" a Last Supper entrance so we'll see Your post was quite helpful.