München-Pasing Train Connection Help Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking the train from Berlin to Füssen, with one connection in Göttingen and one in München-Pasing. The connection in Göttingen departs from the same platform I arrive on, so that's no problem.
However, the München-Pasing connection arrives on Platform 8 and departs from Platform 2. The problem is I have only 8 minutes between trains. Is that enough time to get from Platform 8 to 2? I've never been to Germany and speak very little German. Will it be easy to find my way around?
Also, if I miss my connection will I have to pay for a new ticket from München-Pasing to Füssen?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I understand your concern because the time does seem short.

In most of the train stations, walking 3 platforms is not a problem if you are a normal walker. I have never made a change at the Pasing station, but as a general rule, the transfer is possible.

The complicating factors of course could be a huge pile of luggage or some physical infirmity that hinders your walking. Trains are punctual the vast majority of the time. Therefore you can expect the full 7 or 8 minutes.

If you miss your connection, simply take the next one in about an hour. The ticket is valid for a few days after purchase.

There are trains all day long to Füssen about an hour apart, although some of them do require a change in a small station called Buchloe.

You might want to know the times of the later trains, just in case.
In case you don't have the web site, here it is: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d

There is an English version.

I find many people in Bavaria speak English. I have been surprised many times when people offered help when I seemed hesitant about where I was going.

To show that you don't always know who speaks English well, our waitress in a back street cafe turned out to be very fluent! We said the right words, she put aside her formal reserve, and started talking away on all kinds of subjects, fast and well.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Im living in Pasing, so maybe I can help ;-). Its not really such a big station. (9 tracks, I think) Between Platform 8 and 2 its about 120 Meters, no problen if the trains are on time. Walk down the stairs on Platform 8; dont use the station exit you will see immedeately (If you see the bakery shop on the left and the newspaper stand on the right, you went the wrong way ;-) but go the other way. Right behind Platform 1 on your right hand is Burger King. You should still have some time for a snack .
If your ticket isnt limited to a certain train or category of trains, it can usually be used on any train on this and the following day. But check your ticket, it will tell you.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help (and the directions)! One question: is Platform 2 one level lower than Platform 8, or do I go back up again?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:19 PM

You will have to go downstairs and upstairs again. There is unfortunately no public elevator, but there are transport belts for your luggage at the stairs. The tunnel goes slightly upward, so you will reach street level right at Burger King. The stairs on platform 2/3 are shorter than on track 8/9 but dont have belts (If I remember correctly)
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I forgot to tell: Platforms are 1, 2/3, 4/5, 6/7, 8/9, so its 5 platforms and 9 tracks
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I feel better knowing where I'm going!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 08:28 AM

Once you get a little experience with train hopping, I think your confidence will grow. It is those 4 minute connections that bother me. People who know the ropes have their luggage at the door and they are ready to move. People are most helpful in my experience in handing luggage down the steps of the train.

Everybody who rides regularly knows the situation and there is no loafing.

If you figure that at a normal walking pace you can cover about 400 yards in 5 minutes, you should be ok. It will not be that far between tracks in a small station like Pasing.

The station that to me is always huge and confusing is Gare de Lyon in Paris.

Munich's main station is relatively compact for such a busy place. Trains shuttle in and out of there endlessly all day long. I often wonder who controls it and how long it takes to master the intricate switches.

I think we are to some extent conditioned by our experiences changing airplanes. In Europe, each car has two doors, and the idea is to get on the first car in your class that you come to. I start looking for 2nd class, non smoking cars, as I approach. But if time is short, I jump on the first 2nd class coach I come to, and then I worry about a seat after I am onboard.

A time or two of jumping trains and you will have the hang of it. Really not much to it, unless you are toting 80 pounds of gear without wheels and need to walk with a cane.