things to do in milan when you're stuck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to a majorly brutal flight delay (I'm trying to remain serene), I'm going to be in Milan for 24 hours tomorrow instead of the 2 I was expecting. We'll be staying at a hotel near the airport (malpensa). We really won't have much time, but is there anywhere you'd recommend us to go in the morning or early afternoon?

A nice lunch place would be great, shopping would be nice, and easy to get to would be ideal.

Thanks for any help!

Heidi
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM

For some good shopping and food head to the centre of Milan. Just hop on the subway and get off at The Duomo di Milano - an elaborate Gothic cathedral on the main square in the city center. Many locals and tourists sit and eat lunch or people watch in the square. A glass covered mall called the Galleria is located nearby - and there are many restaurant choices. My friend and I first visited the square several years ago - and when we became stuck in Milan for 5 hours this past May during a train strike - it was a great way to kill some time.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM

this might help as well.

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=sig
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM
cmt

In Milan: Sforza castle, Brera galleries. (It has been a long time since I have visited these places.)

If you don't want to be in the big city, I'd highly recommend a short trip to either Bergamo (the whole città alta is beautiful and so pleasant for walking or you can just sit somewhere and watch) or Vigevano (if you're tired you can just sit for a few hours in the beautiful main square). Either one is a good destination if you're jetlagged and just want to walk around a little and then plant yourself in a chair someplace outdoors where there's a good view..
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM

Hi hodalina, I agree with 8 about seeing the Duomo, the Galleria (go out the other end of the Galleria and you can see the LaScala Opera House.

I think the easiest way to get into Milan is to take the shuttlebus from Malpensa airport (or are you arriving at Linarte airport?) which will take you to the central train station (Centrale). Take the taxi to the Duomo. Facing the Duomo the Galleria will be on your left. I love Milan, I hope you enjoy your time there. Try to take this lemon problem and have some limoncello, LOL! Best wishes to you.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM

Within easy walking distance from the Duomo and probably less expensive than the restaurants in the Galleria is Al Mercante:

http://www.ristorantealmercante.it/en/home.html

When I was there, most of the clientele appeared to be Milanese business people.

The food was very good and the price reasonable.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM

Pinacoteca Brera has already been mentioned. I will add Pinacoteca Ambrosiana. http://www.ambrosiana.it/ita/index.asp

A lovely, managebale art collection with great master works and lots of other interesting things to see.

Also, visit the food emporium Peck. Let your jaw drop. Have lunch around the corner at Italian Bar.

http://www.peck.it/en/luoghi.html

This is all in a 3-4 block radius.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:34 PM

I would suggest to take the bus from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, and from there take a local train to Como and spend a day on Lake Como. There are trains every hour and it takes about 35 minutes to get to Como.
If you are staying near Malpensa rather than going towards Milan and Como, you could also go to lake Maggiore. Stresa is about 40 km (25 miles) from Malpensa. YOu take a train from Gallarate (there is a bus service from Malpensa to Gallarate) to Stresa and spend a day there. There are frequent trains from Stresa to Gallarate and the trip takes about 40 minutes.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:35 PM

Restaurant in Stresa: Taverna del pappagallo (in the centre of the town, near Via Roma if I remember correctly)
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM

if the weather is nice.. and you feel buccolic.. go north from malpensa to the lakes as mentioned.
you won´t regret it.

bad weather.. milan.. duomo, shopping,museums,etc.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM

Stresa, is an good ideas also. I like Stresa and if you have time to take the ferry to Isola Bella that could be relaxing and fun. Stresa is a great town but I sure wouldn't chose it over Milan. But that is just my personal thinking. I have a friend that lives in Gallarte so I am very familar with it and the surrondings area. hodalina, whatever you decide I wish you a beautiful day trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM

the citta alta in bergamo is beautiful and is a must see but keep in mind that the place shuts down except for some trattoria's dudring the noon to 3 pm siesta so unless you have time for a 3 hour lunch it is probably not recommended as a hit and run visit
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hodalina: From your post, I assume you haven't been to Milan. If that is the case, I'd head to the sights already mentioned.

But if the idea of spending some time at Lake Como sounds interesting, you have two choices:

1) Take the Malpensa shuttle bus to Milano Centrale (about 1 hour), catch a train to Varenna (about 1 hour plus time waiting for train), catch a ferry to Bellagio (about 45 minutes including walk to ferry, wait for ferry and actual ferry crossing). Same route in reverse back to Malpensa.

Or a quicker way:

2) Take a train from Malpensa to Saronno (about 30 minutes), change to train to Como city (about 30 minutes plus about 10 minutes waiting for train). At Como city, you can wander around or take a ferry or hydrofoil to other points on the lake. Hydrofoil to Bellagio takes about 45 minutes.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 05:31 AM
DRJ

The duomo is, of course a must. But if you are interested in shopping the high roller street is Montenapoleone, a few blocks west of the duomo. And Peck, previously mentioned, is the most fantastic food and wine store in the world, IMO. Anyone can direct you to Peck, a block or two east of the duomo.

Milan is a wonderful city, but if you must skip it for Lake Como there is a bus direct from Malpensa to Como.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:11 AM

I agree with 8 and LoveItaly. Enjoy your unexpected stay in Milan...I love it.