Search

Milan Must Do's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:22 AM
Linda

Milan Must Do's

Any tips on what to do at Easter in Milan and best way to get from Malpensa to the city.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:33 AM
Selena

Victor Emmanuel Galleria and the Duomo should be on the top of your list...Both are fabulous.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Eye Spy

I posted this a few months back for a person who was going to Milan<BR> for the first time. A lot of people disagree about Milano. Personally, I love it:<BR> museums, energy, people watching!<BR><BR> Brera Gallery (a must):<BR> http://www.brera.beniculturali.it/gallery/index.php I like to go on Sundays when<BR> there are less crowds. Check times in advance. Superb collection.<BR><BR> Biblioteca Ambrosiana: Also a must see. Wonderful Old Master paintings and<BR> other fine art pieces. World famous.<BR><BR> Museo Poldi-Pozzoli: private art collection from wealthy patron who willed his<BR> collection as a museum.<BR><BR> Castello Sforzesco: great historical building/fortress and art collection. Tours in<BR> English.<BR><BR> Santa Maria delle Grazie: for Leondardo's famous &quot;Last Supper&quot; be sure to<BR> book tickets in advance. Advance reservations required. Unfortunately, even<BR> after the recent restoration, the fresco has badly deteriorated; check out the<BR> church next door.<BR><BR> Duomo and adjoining Galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle II right next door -- you can't<BR> miss this. Prada has a boutique in the center of the Galleria. You can have<BR> coffee on the top floor of Rinascente department store adjacent to the Duomo<BR> for a great view!<BR><BR> Take a walk around the fashionable via Montenapoleone and adjoining streets<BR> for Italy's top names: Armani, Gucci etc.<BR><BR> Have lunch at Peck around the corner from the Biblioteca Ambrosiana.<BR><BR> Stroll around the Navigli district(where the old canals are) for animated evenings<BR> and great local restaurants.<BR><BR> Check out: www.comune.milano.it (in Italian). www.museionline.com (click on<BR> English flag on the left of home page) <BR><BR>From Malpensa to downtown Milan, take the Malpensa Express train. It's very affordable, clean, quick and reliable. It will not take you to Milano Centrale. Instead the terminus is MILANO CADORNA. You can take a taxi from Cadorna to your hotel or wherever you are staying. They are plentiful. Check out www.ferrovienord.it

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Belinda

Eye Spy, you have nailed the definitive list of what to do in Milano! Congratuations. I'm very curious about your travel experience.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Eye Spy

Belinda, thanks for the positive feedback. Where should I begin about my Milano travel experiences? The time I was unknowingly seated next to Donatella Versace and her small coterie in a caffe and ended up getting in free to her show and after party while she kept on calling me &quot;darling&quot;? Spending an entire Sunday afternoon in mid-August at the very empty Brera and walking around deserted (and I mean deserted) streets afterwards since Milano is a ghostown during Ferragosto? I have tons of stories!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
donatella

GET OUT OF MY FACE!!!@!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
Belinda

I would love to ask you about some of them. If you are so inclined, please feel free to email me.<BR><BR>B

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
nancy

Leonardo da Vinci's painting of the Last Supper, beautifully restored. You have to make a reservation, your hotel should be able to do this for you, or the convent in which the painting is displayed may have a phone number or website. Run a search on Milan tourist sites and see what you come up with. As you are going on a busy weekend, I would make reservations as soon as you can. There should also be info on transport from the airport, I have only arrived by train into Milan main station so don't have any advice. <BR><BR>I think attending an Easter service in the Duomo would be interesting. As far as I know, La Scala Opera House is closed for renovations for most of 2003.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Lynn

Linda. While at the Duomo make sure you go up onto the roof. Wonderful views and amazing close ups of the many statues. You can choose between the stairs and the lift. The lift costs more but I thought it was worth it! If you are interested in a good restaurant but one that is quite expensive, we had a great meal at Savinis in the Galleria. Eye Spy has given you an extremely comprehensive reply, all very good suggestions.