Search

Planning a Week in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning a Week in Paris

Late August to early September.

Last time I crossed the Atlantic, in 2000, I think I had a travel agent book the flights, but I definitely booked the hotel myself, on-line. Now, though, there is just too much info out there, it's overkill . . . . Help! So I'm hoping that some of you who read this may be able to advise.

Here's what's important to me.

Price; based on air-&-hotel offers I've seen on Expedia & airline sites, I hope to keep the total cost for air & hotel around $(US) 1800 OR LESS. Will I find lower prices by booking flights and hotels separately? or are the combinations I've seen on the various travel sites good?

Safety; as a woman traveling solo, I don't think Montmartre/9th arr. is the place for me to stay, despite the fact there seem to be loads of budget hotels in that area.

Location: I'd like to stay in the general vicinity of Invalides and/or Tour Eiffel, BUT I'm Jewishly observant, so want to be in walking distance of a synagogue. "Walking distance" in my case can be as much as a mile (or even a bit more), since I'm a distance runner and veteran of over 20 full marathons. One of my maps indicates locations of synagogues (several different areas) but some are in areas that may not be safe at night (Friday evening). There seem to be none near Invalides or the Eiffel Tower.

One possibility is for me to stay 3 nights in a hotel near the Marais, where I know of at least one synagogue (AND a kosher restaurant that offers Sabbath meals) and then move west for the remainder of my week. I could also just stay the whole week in the Marais again (I stayed there in 2001).

Also, the only Chabad location in Paris seems to be in a far suburb; correct me if that's not the case.

Amenities; since it will still be summer, a/c is probably going to matter. Also, quiet is important as I'm a light sleeper.....street noise or thin walls between rooms can ruin it for me.

Budget hotel recommendations will be much appreciated, as well as what people have found in booking combinations versus separate air & hotel reservations. Thanking all in advance,

MusicalB
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM

The Marais area is fine and very nice, but it's more expensive than some other areas where you will find observant Jewish communities.

For example, in the 9th arrondisement around Rue Richier, you will find such a community. The 9th arrondisement does include some sleazy areas, but it also includes some nice areas like the one around Rue Richier. In addition, this is only a mile or so to the Marais anyway. It's very easy to avoid the sleazy areas of the 9th.

I'm blanking out on the exact street, but I know there is also a community in the 19th arrondisement, in an area that's not so well known near the Jules-Joffrin metro, I think. This area seemed safe and pleasant enough. Most people would probably consider this area too far out of the center for touristic purposes.

If you are willing to walk a mile or more, you have lots of options. If you are unsure about whether a location is pleasant and safe, just post back with it.

Try www.accorhotels.com . The All Seasons Paris Lafayette Opéra often comes up very cheaply and has air conditioning, and it is newly renovated, and is right in the nice part of the 9th arrondisement that I mentioned and walking distance from the Marais. Disclaimer: I haven't stayed at that hotel myself. I have stayed at two nearby hotels in nice areas in the 9th - Mercure Monty Opera and Hotel Marciano - both of which I was happy with considering I got a very good deal on both. These have air conditioning, but considering it was February and March, I didn't try it.

Also try these sites: www.hotelscombined.com and www.hrs.de .
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Oops - I should have said rue Richer in the 9th.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM

The Marais isn't the biggest Jewish area in Paris, people just know of it for historical reasons. I think the 9th is, and hotels are a lot cheaper.

I don't know anything other than by googling, but there are certainly Chabad centers in Paris not in the suburbs. There is one in the 9th on rue Lamartine, for example. There are several others, including one in the Marais. Just go to www.chabad.org
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Hi Musical -

I recently traveled solo to Paris and London, and I strongly disagree with Janiny9 that it doesn't matter where you stay in Paris. I didn't feel as safe solo in Paris as I did in London, where the police are everywhere. That being said, I stayed at Hotel Madison on Blvd. St. Germain in the 6th, which seemed to be a fairly safe area that was the perfect base for sightseeing. I googled synagogues in the 6th, and there is one at 8 Bis rue de l'Esperon. (I don't know how close that is to the hotel, but it's worth checking out.) My favorite museum was the Musee Rodin, so if you haven't already been there, I highly recommend a visit. I'm not sure if Le Cigale Recamier serves Kosher food, but that's where I had my best meal. Hope that helps, and bon voyage!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I like Orbitz.com for pricing flights. I think that you'll find that it cheaper to book the airfare and hotel seperately, because sometimes hotels have offers that they only offer on their own websites.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't say your home airport, but I believe US Air is having another sale so see what you can come up with. I was in Paris in May solo and felt completely safe and comfortable. Probably the latest I was out walking by myself was about half an hour or so after midnight.

Sorry, can't help with hotels as I stayed in an apartment. I do like the northern 3rd as well as the part of the 11th around Republique--you might see what prices look like in those areas.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to Jainy9, WillTravel, Christina, Pam Ewing and Leely2 for each of your comments and recommendations. I'm hoping to finish making reservations by July 10 (For August-September). I may try to respond to some of you individually on specific points, either tomorrow (Thursday, july 2), otherwise next week (I'll be away from home over July Fourth weekend and leaving laptop behind).

Again, thanks to each of you, and I'll be back in touch soon.

Regards!

MusicalB
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Yesss!!! Big thanks to each of you for your kind comments! In the end, a friend from my synagogue told me that they have statyed in the 17th and found not only synagogues but many kosher restaurants. (He did not recommend any specific hotel.) So last week I spent several hours on Thursday to book my flights, then another 4-and-a-half or so hours Friday on one of those multiple-Internet-travel-agencies, and booked a room at Villa Alessandra, in Place Boulnois, in the 17th. On maps it seems to be not far from L'Arche de Triomphe, and reasonably near to at least one Metro station. It's also a little more expensive than I planned, but when I looked at guest reviews of all the hotels in the lower price range, each one had a serious deal-breaker (noise, no a/c, moldy smell, shoddy maintenance, dirty, etc.). Villa Alessandra has everything I need, it's been eight years since I was last in Paris, and I'm looking forward to this vacation.

Note, to Pam, the Rodin Museum is one of my favorites, too, and I may try Le Cigale Recamier; many restaurants, especially today, offer a few vegetarian options that will usually work for me.

As far as safety, I realized that I've lived in New York City my entire adult life, and seemed to have street smarts almost the second I arrived, so I think I'll be okay; but because I'll be there alone it makes sense to choose hotel location with safety as one of the factors.

Lastly, I'm a pianist (albeit with a TINY career) and love to attend concerts (classical music) away from home, especially in Paris. I'll be checking the on-line event listings for concerts while I'm in Paris. If there are none, I'll live. Paris is one of my favorite cities!

Again, thank you all, so much!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:31 AM

You probably want to pick up the Officiel des Spectacles or Pariscope, which are the weekly events magazines.

I've been to many classical concerts I found in these guides, held at churches so you get an interestig sound/sight experience. All of the ons I've been to where in the 5th/6th, but then again I either stay in that area or am often around that area for touring/dinner so I would focus on concerts around that area. There is also a "candlelight" concert at St Chapelle, which is a good complement to seeing the stained glass beforehand.

I've been on Paris streets at night many times and never had any incidents. but am also from a large city so I am 'aware'.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
tod

Hi MusicalB,
We have just stayed in the 17th and LOVED it! We stayed at the Hotel Eldorado in Rue des Dames. What character and fabulous courtyard restaurant.
Type in the address and you can see where you will stay: http://tinyurl.com/c9rapm