Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where are the safe and charming Arrondissements in Paris?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Danella

We will be staying in Paris this fall for the first time. We want to stay in a safe, romantic, and charming area? We're considering Hotel du Globe in the 6th, la Bretonnerie in the 4th, la Tulipe in the 7th, but we keep seeing great bargains (Sanguine & New Orient in the 8th) and in the 9th. Are these areas safe and charming also? Any suggestions?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:19 AM
elaine

Hi
The single-digit arrondissements are the most popular to stay in because they are closest to the center of most sightseeing. Particularly popular and charming are the 4th,5th,6th, and 7th.
Most of Paris is safe and most of it is beautiful, but the double-digit arrondissements are just a little farther off the tourist track.
The 8th on the right bank is convenient as well, but it has less of the "old Paris" charm, which is compensated for by grand hotels and gorgeous expensive shopping. The southern part of the 9th
is the same, the northern reaches of the 9th don't appeal to me much.
If you search on this forum for Paris hotel you will find many suggestions including many that mention charm. Your price will help you make a choice, but don't wait any longer to book for this fall as many popular hotels will already be completely booked.
You can also look for hotel suggestions and comments from past guests at
www.paris.org
I also have a large file on Paris which I'd be happy to send if you email me

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Neil

Hi,
I would highly recommend l'Hotel Residence des Arts, in the 6th Arr. It is just around the corner from the St.Michel fountain, an absolutely charming and very safe area. Pascal Schubert is the manager, and he is an absolute gem to deal with. He is very helpful and courteous, and made quite an impression on my girlfriend!! He doesnt advertise much in websites, but he does have his own site- www.residence-des-arts.com I am going back again soon and I wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else. It is very central, just across the river from Notre Dame, but no matter where you stay in Paris, you cant be close to everything. You can contact Pascal at [email protected]. and feel free to mail me if you require any further info. Neil.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Book Chick

Hi Danella,
I'm going to Paris in October. All the research I've done & folks I've spoken with suggests that most areas of Paris are pretty safe, with the notable exception of Pigalle.

We opted to stay in the 7th er, as this area is not noted for a humming nightlife, with very few clubs in the arrondisement. Also, there are many charming boutique hotels. Many of the government folks & diplomats' staffs shop the market area in the 7th er, & we felt this would be a good way to meet people while shopping for breakfast in the morning. Our hotel has in-room safes, which we liked.
Best Wishes,
BC

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Taylor

I would opt for the 4th, 6th or 8th. I lived at Blvd. Montparnasse and Raspail for 6 months and it is a nice neighborhood - a mix between the heart of the 6th and the 7th. However, when we recently returned I chose the Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th on Gregoire de Tours (80 ft approx off Blvd St Germain). GREAT SAFE LOCATION - CHARMING 3* HOTELTHAT I LOVED - AND CLOSE TO LOTS OF CAFES, CLUBS AND SIGHTS. The 7th is great if you like quiet and more residential - it is as others have descibed. The 8th primarily has expensive shops, resturants and hotels. Lots of businesses in that area too generally. The 4th has lots of charm - such as Ile Cite and St. Louis. I was not too impressive with Marais - it seems more cramped and dirty than other neighborhoods. The 6th is lively but more sedate than the 5th. Stay away from staying near Montmartre and the double digit arr. on the est side of Paris. Paris is generally safe but some areas are more dangerous than others. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:54 PM
lisa

My favorite area is the 6th and it's also VERY safe, charming, and (yes) romantic (but then most of Paris is romantic...). Second choice would be the 4th, 5th, or 7th. Third choice would be the 1st. The 8th, while as safe as the others, is not nearly as charming or romantic to me (just my humble opinion). The Champs-Elysee does nothing for me but I realize many are enamored of it. Regardless of where you choose, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

By the way, I just got back & stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th & the location was the best I've had in Paris & I enjoyed it very much. It is near the Luxembourg Gardens (lovely) and Blvd. St. Germain with all of its cafes and shops. If you are looking at budget places (as I assume you are if you are looking at Hotel du Globe, which I considered as well), you may want to consider Balcons -- the website is www.balcons.com and if you do a search on this forum you will find many mentions of it. The decor in the hotel is nothing special, but the price, location, staff, & breakfast were terrific and it was spotlessly clean. Good luck.

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry just one more topper!