Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

first time in paris so plz help with a location in Paris

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 06:36 AM
tanya

I am thinking of renting an apartment in paris located in front of the Elysée palace.It is also 2 minutes walk to the gardens of the Champs Elysées. Is that a good area? close to shops and cafes? Is it an area considered posh? I would appreciate any help i can get.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 12:27 PM
xxx

I have stayed in the Champs Elysees area (17th dist.) and do not like it. This year I stayed instead in the Latin Qtr.(5th dist.) and the St. Germain des Pres area (6th dist.) and I really liked these two areas alot better than the Champs Elysees area. Sure, there are alot of shops and cafes along the Champs Elysees, but these are very touristy and not interesting. The area is definitely not posh.

The 5th & 6th districts still have alot of charm with small cobblestoned streets, street markets, and many neighborhood cafes, bistros, and shops. Plus the hotels there are very charming.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 03:02 PM
Ira

Hi Tanya,

Are you just thinking about it, or do you have a particular place in mind? What price?

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 03:09 PM
tanya

Ira,
I am really interested in the apartment. It is for $1000 a week. I do not know much about Paris so I would like to know if this area is considered classy? Is it good being infront of the elysee palace?

xxx,
I am a tourist so I do not mind being in the touristy areas. Maybe when I have been to PAris a few times I would be more adventerous.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 04:38 PM
Christina

I guess if it's good enough for the PResident, it might be an okay neighborhood. Where are you renting, Sothby's or Christian Dior?

Yes, it is posh and close to expensive shops, and close to several embassies, like the US and Great Britain. This is not a small quaint neighborhood area with corner tabacs, though. There are some expensive restaurants and cafes around there, of course -- the Bristol Hotel is very nearby. It's a ritzy area, depends what you want. I am very surprised you found an apt. around there for $1000 a week.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 04:49 PM
Ira

Hi Tanya,

STOP. Your apartment is much too expensive.

See my post "Are there any hotels in the 5th/6th arr. with family rooms or a suite, etc. to fit a family of three?".

You can do much better for much less.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
tanya

Christina,
You can view the apartment at this site. http://www.audiotrack.org/home.htm. WHat do you think? I willbe dealing withthe owner directly.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 05:09 PM
Ira

Tanya, you are renting a *two* bedroom apartment. Why didn't you mention that at the start?

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 05:15 PM
xxx

Thank you Ira, for your inane and totally stupid post, "you can do much better."
For all you know, tanya has located a four bedroom mini palace with full time maid service. How do you know she "can do better". Sure there are cheaper places, I don't think that was the question. I am sick of people acting like price is what it is all about.

And yes, Ira, I reviewed your post of those tacky cheap places you mention.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Ira

xxx wrote
>Thank you Ira, for your inane and totally stupid post....<

See:
To all U posters..Why so many negative remarks when all people want is our help

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
Ira

Hi Tanya,

For some reason I am being stalked by xxx who has a problem with the Hotel Bonaparte.

It might not be to your liking, but I hope you will not think that I was trying to mislead you.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:09 AM
tanya

HAs anybody seen the URL?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
tanya

topping for moe info.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Laurie

Tanya-
I looked at the website for your apt but it's hard to tell abt the apt because the photos are small & I couldn't get them larger. The area,I'm sure, will be fine as long as you understand it's not a "neighborhoody" place. Issues I'd think about-how did you find this place (ie thru a friend or "blind") & do you trust the owner. You don't have to tell us-just think about that & whether the photos you've seen satisfy you. What do you like about it? By the way, the obvious has been left unsaid. Have you gotten a map & looked at where the apt. is relative to the sights you want to see? If you have the exact address, you can go to a website www.pagesjaunes.com (yellow pages) type in the address & it will show you the outside of the building. Maybe type in a few more #s on the street & see what they're like.
Good luck!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxx

Excuse me, but I think when someone says "you can do better" without having a clue what the person has already found, then yes that is an inane and stupid post. I stand by my original opinion.