Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Parlez-vouz francais? Translation help, please.

Notices

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

I received a message from a restaurant in Paris saying,
"Pas de problème pour le Vendredi 22 Décembre 2006 pour 2 personnes à 20H30.
Je vais me renseigner auprès de mes collègues de l'Ile St Louis pour le 24/12/06.
A bientôt,...."

With my limited French, I believe it is says no problem about the reservations for dinner, but am asking if someone could help assure me of that fact.

As for the next sentence, I hope they weren't alerting their colleagues to run away when Tracy and I arrive. Merci.

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use http://www.freetranslation.com/

"I's received has message from has restaurant in Paris saying, "Not any problem for on Fridays December 22 2006 for 2 persons to 20H30. I will inform myself with my colleagues of the ile St Louis for the 24/12/06. To soon"
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I think he is asking some other restaurant friends in the area if they are open Christmas Eve because their restaurant was not.

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Pas de probleme would be not a problem...for 2 people at 8:30 on the 22nd of December. I am going to inform (not sure on aupres here - maybe "next") my colleagues of I'll St. Louis for the 24th of December.

Until soon.

There is no problem with your dinner reservations! It'd be good to get yourself a little phrasebook (I've learned some French with the Michel Thomas CD course and such).
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM

No problem for Friday the 22nd of Dec 06 for 2 people at 8:30 PM. I'll check with my ile St Lous colleages concerning the 24/12/06.

See you soon....
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Yes, Morgan's translation is right on.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. By the time I get to Paris (the forgotten Glen Campbell song), I should be much better at my French. Ciao (Damn, old habits die hard).

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:09 AM

To Maitatom :

Bonjour,

Being French, I wanted to say that's Morgan's translation is perfect ;-) !

And will add some info in case the forumite (nbodyhome) who had doubts about the "locution prépositive" "auprès" would be interested.

- AUPRES de quelqu'un : (en s'adressant &agrave = "to"; "se plaindre/se justifier/s'excuser auprès de qn" = "to complain/to justify oneself/to apologize to sb" ; "renseigne-toi auprès de la mairie" = "ask for information at the town hall"

Since Morgan used "check with sby" (that...)/"vérifier auprès de quelqu'un" (que...), there was no problem of translation... Voilà !

In case you still have the time, you could go and have a look at the site hosted by my American friend, Laura, to find the essential terms, sentences, etc. which might be of great help when you are in France. Remember that French people, like people from other European countries, do appreciate seein foreigners making efforts and trying to use French when asking for help, etc. The fact one makes mistakes doesn't matter, making efforts is a sign of respect for the language and locals living in this country. Moreover, as you already know, don't forget to say "bonjour" when entering a shop, your hotel, etc., "au revoir" when leaving, and of course "merci (beaucoup/a lot)" in between !!!

Laura's "audiodico" is also very interesting to check the pronunciation of such or such term :

http://french.about.com/library/pron...-audiodico.htm (Laura speaks French as well as a French speaker, so it's very pleasant to listen to her pronouncing French terms the way we pronounce them !)

And here, you can check "la conjugaison" of verbs :

http://french.about.com/library/verb...conjugator.htm

Cordialement. Marie (in Normandy, France)

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Sorry for forgetting a "g" at the end of "seeinG"... And, when checking the link to the audio dico, I saw the url had changed, here it is :

http://french.about.com/library/pron...-audiodico.htm

I also forgot to include the page which can help you with the everyday French words, structures, sentences which might help you in any event :

http://french.about.com/library/begin/bl_travel.htm

Il ne me reste plus à vous souhaiter qu'un bon voyage et un bon séjour chez nous, en France ;-) Marie (Normandy, France)
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Topping for others to note. Why is it that I suspect Mlle Marie has absolutely NO trouble navigating CDG?
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 01:42 AM

To Dukey :

Bonjour,

May I ask you what you mean when you write "Topping for others to note. Why is it that I suspect Mlle Marie has absolutely NO trouble navigating CDG?", please ?

BTW, thanks for "me rajeunir"/making me out to be younger than I am but I'm no longer Miss Marie and am almost a... grandmother, lol ! Cordialement. Marie (Normandy, France)

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 02:42 AM

Au fait, j'aurais dû écrire/I should have written : "il ne me reste plus QU'à vous souhaiter un bon..." Désolée ! Mea culpa ! Marie who always types too quickly ;-) and can't edit her sentences on this interesting forum
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Merci Marie! We will study our French phrases and, as always, do the best we can while in Paris. Hopefully I won't order a piece of chocolate cat instead of chocoate cake. Surprisingly, my French always improves after a nice glass of vin rouge. Thanks again for the language websites.

And MorganB, thank you for the translation help and also your info regarding the SNCF site from another post.

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Mon Amie=She's an esteemed school teacher
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Saving for the French Language guide. Merci!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Perhaps the restauranteurs did read of your adventures in Italy with the rental car ensuring that they will run away upon your arrival!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Although maititom has his restaurant message translated perfectly by now, I'd like to second Marie007's recommendation of french.about.com. This amazing site has been one of my favorites since I discovered it (and the equally amazing Laura Lawless) a few years ago.I posted a recommendation a few months back for a poster who wanted some 'brush-up'tips prior to a trip to France.

From grammar/vocab lessons & tests, to translation/pronunciation aids, to cultural tips, to forums [fora ?!]---well, you get the idea: it's a great place to hang out for anyone interested in the French language--regardless of proficiency level.

And no, I'm not connected to the site, except as a frequent and satisfied user !
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:42 AM

To Maitaitom :

De rien !/You're welcome !

"Hopefully I won't order a piece of chocolate cat instead of chocolate cake."

LOL ! You could practise French sounds by using tongue twisters/"des virelangues" such as "les chaussettes de l'Archiduchesse sont-elles sèches, archi sèches ?", "un chasseur sachant chasser doit savoir chasser sans son chien", etc. If you have the time, you can go and have a look at the site below ;-) Cordialement. Marie

http://michbuze.club.fr/lavache/virelangues.htm
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM

To Mimi :

Thanks for the kind words ! And bises

To Lifes2short :

I've always recommended Laura's fora and grammar web pages, etc. because of the quality of her lessons, advice and of her... French which is absolutely wonderful. She speaks it without any Anglo-Saxon accent and masters all its nuances. I'd love to speak English as well as she speaks my native tongue ;-) Cordialement. Marie