St Nicholas Day in Paris

Oct 12th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

St Nicholas Day in Paris

Hallo Everyone,

Can anyone please let me know if shops are open in Paris on St Nicholas Day, 6 Dec? Not a big deal -- just like to know if that might be a shopping day or just a wandering one.

Thanks!

s
Oct 12th, 2017, 08:34 AM

No problem with 6 December. You can do whatever you want.
Oct 12th, 2017, 06:13 PM

I've been there for St. Nicholas Day (my Birthday) and nothing was closed. The patisseries and chocolate shops have special items in St.Nick shapes. (Not Santa).
Also the Christmas market is open and they had some small items and St. Nick items, as well as yummy hot chocolate and mulled cider.
Oct 12th, 2017, 07:45 PM

Even in the northeastern regions of France where St. Nicolas is actually celebrated, everything remains open on December 6th.
Oct 12th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Even in the Netherlands where Sinterklaas is a big thing everything is open. The Dutch celebrate on the evening of the 5th and some shops will close earlier than normal, but that is all.
Oct 13th, 2017, 01:19 AM

Same in Belgium, Saint-Nicolas is a big thing for kids but has no other impact on everyday's life you won't notice.
Oct 13th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much y'all!! It does help my planning. This time I've decided to reserve a few nicer restaurants for my midday meal (which is my main meal of the day), so I've been sorta outlining what part of the city I'm likely to be in for those days. I appreciate your input!

I live in Bavaria, which is heavily Catholic, but I can't for the life of me remember if shops are closed here on Nikolaustag!

Thanks again --

s
Oct 14th, 2017, 01:06 AM

Hi Swandav
Here are lists of some good restaurants (subjective...) that may help you.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-per-arrd.cfm
Oct 14th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Lol pariswat!! As if I haven't spent the last months reading, enjoying, & scouring your posts!! ☺️ I'm sure I'm not speaking only for myself when I say that your posts (under *any* name) are a wonderful wealth of great and trusted information. We have been so lucky to have your input on these boards -- sure hope you continue to return for our benefit!

Thank you for posting your restaurant list for me, just in case I hadn't seen the thread. That is such a thoughtful and kind thing to do!! I appreciate it!

Hope to continue reading your posts!!

s