Good organ music in a Paris church?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good organ music in a Paris church? I will be in Paris for a week (7/14 7/21) and wonder if it would be possible to hear a large organ played in one of the churches - either for a a service or as a concert. I'm a Bach nut and the thought of being surrounded by the sounds in its proper setting sends me into raptures.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:26 AM
ira

Hi Nav,

Check concerts at

St Sulpice
St Germain des Pres
St Chapelle
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Airlawgirl

yep. St. Eustache Cathedral in Les Halles. Wonderful organ concerts for free on Sunday evenings! Several famous people buried within- Moliere, Richelieu- has many fine gargoyles on the outside to rival Notre Dame!

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Myinfo from my Paris mavens matches the recommendation for St. Eustache.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:08 AM

http://www.cathedraledeparis.com/EN/0.asp

site for Notre Dame. Check St. Sulpice also, there's both organ during Sunday mass and a "concert" afterwards. We were lucky enough last April to pop into one of the neighborhood churches while the organist was practicing. One of those unforeseen moments that brings tears to your eyes. Makes your soul swell.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM

We went to the STe. Eustache concert and the organ is absolutely beautiful. BUT the day we were there--and I will NEVER understand it--whatever piece he was playing sounded like he was warming up, albeit at full volume. There was never a melody to be heard, totally dissonant. I have no idea what it was. I hope you have better luck.
And I am not a stranger to modern music--I tend to like Ives and Stravinsky quite well. Just never heard anything quite like thes
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I would also suggest St Sulpice, St Eustache, Notre Dame, St Roch, or St Etienne du Mont. I think these are some of the best organs in Paris. The Madeleine is also a possibility. They have an international organ competition in Paris every three years (which just ended, too bad) and they use St Eustache for their finals.

I don't think Sainte Chapelle has organ concerts, and I'm not even sure if they have an organ in there--I think it was removed a long time ago, during the Revolution.

There aren't as many concerts in Paris at the end of the summer, unfortunately, so perhaps a Mass would be a good idea, but I think they do still have the Notre Dame organ recitals on Sunday afternoons at 4:30 in July. I checked some schedules I know, and don't see any organ recitals in Paris during that time, but check in Pariscope when you get there.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Mass at St-Sulpice with organ and choir. Get there at 10:15 for the prelude. Sit on the right side of the church near the front (you'll then be near the choir).