Have you been to Rome in February?

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been to Rome in February?

Greetings, I recently returned from Rome and I am already planning my return. I was there in May and the weather was perfect. I am thinking of returning next February. The airfares and hotels will be much cheaper and I do not mind somewhat cold weather. Can anyone give me a recommendation on visiting at that time of year?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:27 AM

We did both London and Paris in February. Nice Valentine's Day rememberance. Not a lot of crowds and lines. Just dress for the occasion -- I would go for it!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:34 AM

My mother--in her early 70's at the time--but a very young and enegetic 70 year old was there in February with my brother in law and his mother. B/c of the smaller number of tourists at that time of year, one must be a little extra vigilant about the bands of young boys who try to distract and steal. They found themselves in such a situation and luckily an Italian man came along and chased the boys away and recovered my mother's purse. Other than that it was fine--cold enough for a winter coat but warm by the standards of Chicago where she lives.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent a week in Rome this past February. The weather was never really cold, but we live in Massachusetts so we may be conditioned. We had one very rainy day, at the end of which we were cold and miserable, but a couple of days were nice enough to leave the coat behind.

There were no crowds of tourists, everything was very manageable, and I thought it was a great time to visit. I'd much rather be cold than too hot anyway.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM

This isn't totally responsive to your question, but my wife and I have been to Rome numerous times in early to mid December and love going at this "off peak" time. It can get cold, but it's great without the crowds. For some great tours, check out scalreale.org and www.underome.com
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:44 PM
UU

We were there in early March, so I think I have some idea of what the weather is like there in February.

It was cool enough each day for a light jacket...and there was one day when a cold, windy rain fell that required more than a jacket.

In turn, the advantages to going at that time of year are numerous: fewer lines, better prices for flights, hotels, etc.

One thing: if there is something you MUST see, check to see if it will be open at that time of year or if its hours will be altered. Many smaller European museums/exhibits/inns use the "off" season to close and retool for the summer.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:24 PM

I was in Rome this past Feb and the weather was great. It was almost warm enough to go without a jacket and I didn't have any rain. I flew from London on Ryan Air for 38 GBP RT. I got a 30% discount at a nice centrally located hotel. The off season is the best time to go to Europe. Fall is my favorite season in Europe along with winter in Southern Europe. I absolutely loved my trip to Rome and will definitely go again -an amazing city!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM

ttt
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I've been to Rome in late January, and it was chilly some days, warm others. Most days, a light raincoat was sufficient. When it was colder, I just added more layers under the raincoat. Do bring gloves and a hat. I had gloves, but ended up buying a hat from a street vendor one day.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM

We've been to Rome twice in February, for a week in 2002, and for about three days this year.

In 2002, we had no rain, just sunny days that required no more than light jackets or sweaters. This year, we had rain with snow (!).

The rain/snow was off and on, so we didn't let it keep us from enjoying the city, but during the rainy spells you couldn't sit outside, of course. Actually, it wasn't very cold, just damp.

The advantages to traveling in the real off season are listed by previous posters, and we certainly agree with them.

Byrd
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM

On worldclimate.com it says the average temp for Feb is around 46F and march 49F. We were there Marhc '01, it was 80! So it really can vary quite a bit. From what others have said re: crowds, it sounds like the perfect time to go.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM

We were there this February/March and found the weather quite pleasant. A little chilly at times and it did rain a few times, but overall very pleasant, especially compared to the St. Louis weather in February! But, as listed above, the benefits more than make up for the weather. There were very little crowds which means very little waiting in lines. The prices for airfare and hotels were quite a bit cheaper as well. I would highly recommend it!