Park International Hotel, London

Jan 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Park International Hotel, London

Review Of Park International Hotel, 117/125 Cromwell Road, London SW7 4DS, Tel 44 (0) 20 7244 6110 Fax 44 (0) 20 7244 6146 www.parkinternationalhotel.com

Our room rate is affordable and yet the hotel is a nice one; in many countries this would be rated a 4 star instead of the UK 3 star. We booked through their website and got a room for 40 BP ($80/night) for 6 nights which includes a continental buffet breakfast (cereal,toast, pastries, cheese, ham, sausage, canned fruits, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, juice, hot milk (for your coffee/tea) free newspapers in a pleasant breakfast room. If you don't book via their website you'll end up paying for this. The rooms are extremely clean and nice. The hotel is managed by an American, Dan Jensen, and his capable staff. We find the location to be extremely good; you are not far from anything in the town and close to the Gloucester Road Tube Stop, which has 3 different lines (Blue Line which takes you to Heathrow airport, The Green Line and the Yellow Line--look at a tube map and you'll understand what I mean). If you have lots of luggage it isn't much fun walking up the steps of the Tube and it might be worth it for you to take a taxi from Victoria Station to the Hotel. One block up the street is a Waitrose grocery store which has a full range of food items, salads, pates, olives, antipastos, and if you are like us you'll enjoy buying a bottle of wine and having a meal in your room occasionally. The British Postoffice is located near also and there is a CyberCafe across the street. if you have your own wireless computer with you, you can book a 'wireless' connection by just turning on your computer and signing up for $48/7 days unlimited. There is also a drug store in the neighborhood and you can buy creams to rub on your aching joints after climbing the steps of the Tube (these creams can't be bought in the US and are worth buying as Ibuprofen cream really works). If I had one complaint it is that they need more concierge help; the guy isn't there much or at least not this week and the front desk help don't know directions.

Bottom line: This is a real steal in London. I was with a BBC reporter who didn't know of the hotel...he estimated the cheapest equivalent hotel in London would be 65BP or $130/night. If you want a quiet room, ask for something off of the street. We had room 408 and it was quiet.

Dean and Yoly Hughson
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:21 PM

I stayed at this hotel for one night about 3 years ago. I paid much more and no breakfast. The room was on the Cromwell Rd and quite noisy. I thought it was poor value and a less than ideal location (I stayed there as it is on the tube line to heathrow which is a plus)> I would not choose this hotel again....each to his own but at the rate quoted it would be fair value..each to his own!
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I stayed there in July 2002 and found it very affordable and convenient. It is very close to the tube stop, grocery and cybercafe (although I believe they had internet access in the lobby)as well as numerous restaurants. A very nice walk to Kensington Palace is nearby too.
As it was my first trip to Europe I was astounded at how small my single room was and complained to the desk.
They immediately switched me to a much larger room.
One thing was that I found several non-working items in my room(s) such as the room safe or dryer that needed attention.
Overall, despite the small problems I'd stay there again.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM

actually, i quite liked the park international...easy access to the tube and a sainsbury next door to get some supermarket food...love the cups of pudding. and yes it was cheap...breakfast was ok. for the money it wasn't bad. but not much around the area overall. i'd stay there again and in that area again.
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Got stuck staying in this hotel once- and it is barely a 3* - never mind a 4*. completely barren and soulless - no charm at all - modern in the worst meaning of the word and the staff was completely amateuirsh. Acceptlble only if you get a great rate and don;t really care where you stay.

IMHO the neighborhood is acceptable - no more - and its not that convenient to the tube.

Anyone who thinks this is a 4* hotel has obviously never stayed in one. (FYI a 4* is a standard business hotel - like a Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott or Hyatt.)
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM

agreed definitely not anywhere near 4 star. it's probably 2.5 at best. i got it for $60/night so i didn't care. but the tube is less than a 3 minute walk. i also stayed at the Holiday Inn right next to the Park Int and the Holiday Inn was pretty nice...more like a nice 3 star. try priceline.
Jan 29th, 2005, 07:16 AM

I stayed at the Park International in 2002 & 2004. I wouldn't have confused it with a 4 Star, but at the low price I got, I was quite satisfied. The condition of my rooms was fine.

But looking at their website just recently, the rates were up quite a bit and I will probably be checking for better buys for the next trip.

A great thing about the PI - they responded promply to emails and have a tollfree number good from the US and Canada: 800-729-1736

Keith