Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Park City Hotel or Millennium Gloucester for first timer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on our first visit to London with our child 4 yrs old arriving Heathrow. Our budget is GBP 125/night inclusive of all taxes & breakfast / night (2adults + 1 child). Priceline option is ruled out since we have a Kid. Having read previous posts, we have two hotels in mind, Park City Hotel & Millenium Gloucester Hotel. Which one will be better for a first timer? Park City has a higher rating on Trip Advisor, but Millenium Gloucester costs slightly higher than Parck City. Any other alternatives in Earls Court , Gloucester, South Kensington areas and close to tube welcome .
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:31 AM

I'm not familiar with Park City but have stayed at Millennium Gloucester and Millennium Bailey's which is right next door. The location is super. Directly across from the tube station , lots of cafes and service within a few yards. There's aa shoppoing center in the tube station. Personally I don't like the Earl's Court area at all, it's rather shoddy IMO.If you can get it for 125 GBP a night I'd grab it.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:30 AM
yk

Looking at the map, the Millennium Gloucester is closer to the tube station (Gloucester Rd tube) than Park City.

I have stayed at the Millennium Gloucester before, and per my trip report, the hotel was renovating its rooms - this was November 2006.

The following is what I wrote back then:
--------------------

Author: yk
Date: 11/30/2006, 07:02 pm
Hotel Review

London - Millennium Gloucester
http://tinyurl.com/yd74y6

We actually stayed here both on our way to Vienna and on our way back. I got both stays via Priceline. The rate was $85/night, which came out to $108 after taxes and charges.

I initially didn't want to stay in the Kensington area as I'm not as familiar with it as I am with Bloomsbury/Covent Garden/Westminster. But I wasn't able to win any bids at those zones, so I accepted Kensington.

The location ended up working ok for us, esp with traveling back and forth to LHR/LGW. It's a little of a hike to get to Covent Garden, but at least there's no need to change lines.

The hotel location is good, just 1/2 block from Gloucester Road Station (served by Piccadilly, Circle and District lines). There is a Tesco across from the tube stop, as well as Starbucks.

Both nights we were only offered twin rooms. Double rooms were not available (not sure if not available at all, or not available to Priceline customers).

[BTW, I think the hotel has renovated 20% of the rooms; but I don't think PL customers will ever get those new rooms.]

Both of the our rooms have the same layout. Room is quite large for London standard. We could not get the heat to work in either room.

Our first room, on the 3rd floor, was quiet. No real complains.

Our second room, on the 2nd floor, is right next to the elevators. At night, the staff closes fire doors (swivel doors) next to the elevators. So, each time someone gets off the elevator to get to his/her room, the swivel door gets pushed open. I was sound asleep so I didn't notice, but it kept poor DH up most of the night. So if you're a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a room far from the elevators.

Our second room also has a funky (?moldy) smell in the bathroom. We didn't bother to change rooms.

Bottom line: Okay hotel. I can't be picky when the final bill is less than £60/night in central London!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't stayed in either one, but the location of the Millenium Gloucester is a bit better - as avalon says it is practically at the Gloucester Rd tube station.

But both are in a nice area, convenient for transport, -- and far enough from Earl's Court - which is a good thing.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:51 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Millenium Gloucester a couple of years ago and found it very nice, equivalent to an upmarket Marriott or similar in the U.S.

The tube station is, indeed, incredibly convenient, and the associated shopping area included a Boots (drugstore) and a Waitrose grocery store, both very nice with a child along.