Good news. Got Kensington Close Hotel...

Nov 17th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Good news. Got Kensington Close Hotel...

In London (Kensington) for $65/night. Anyone know anything about this hotel?
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM

cdlb......Its been a couple of years.Nice location.I liked the "traditional" room in the original building rather than the "modern" wing.Just a couple of blocks to the tube,South Kensington I think.Have Fun!
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:34 AM

cdleebunny, I guess you used Priceline for a 3* hotel in the Kensington zone. I think that's a pretty good result. The reviews are mixed, but for that price in London you did splendidly.
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Stayed there last January, nothing spectacular but for the price we couldn't complain. Agree about the location, quite convenient for catching the tube
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:26 AM

I stayed here for a week this past spring and the location is perfect. Two blocks down a lightly traveled side street off Kensington High Street. The Kensington High Tube station is at the intersection of these two streets and there is a small shopping mall there with a couple of small eating places (sandwiches and such)and a Boots store. There is a McDonalds across Kensington High and there are several ATM's around this corner. The room I had was tiny, but most value rooms in London will be. The bathroom was fairly large, however (almost the same size as the room). I was concerned about this place after reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor, but my experience turned out to be great. The conceriege even went out at 4 am in the morning to hail me a cab when I had to get to Waterloo for a 5:30am eurostar departure. I cannot remember what I paid, but it wasn't much more that what you're paying. I even walked to Kensington Palace/Gardens, the V&A and Portabello Road from the hotel without too much difficulty, but used the tube to get to all the other destinations I went to during the week.
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I would suggest "The Muffin Man" for breakfast. It is less than 1 min walk from your hotel. Full English breakfast costs about £7. Try the toasted muffin - delicious! I stayed in the Copthorne next door to the Kensington Close and it is definitely the best location in London in my opinion. Have a good trip!
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great advice.
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Man, those were such good write-ups, I feel like making a bid on priceline myself!
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM

cdleebunny,

I stayed there about a year ago on a business trip & was very happy with it. My single room was small but well designed & my only negative recollection was that the breakfast didn't seem very well organised - from what I recall quite a queue built up.

I fully agree with comments about the good location - you might also be interested to know that there is a large "easyInternet" cafe just along the road.

Jim

Jim
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:34 AM

You got a great price! I just stayed at the Kensington Close last week. I really liked it. Rooms are small but they are clean and have sparkling bathroons. You can see my review on my websight.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...nsington_.html

I also agree with eilias, the Muffin man is also a great place to eat for breakfast, tea or even lunch.

Here is my description for breakfast and lunch...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...uffin_man.html

and

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...ffin_man_.html

The description from KE1TH is also very accurate.