American Guinivere in London

Jan 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

American Guinivere in London

Fodorites! I am posting a message that I also posted in TripAdvisor as the same principle applies: (both forums are very good):

First of all I would like to say that I am most grateful for the spirit of goodwill expressed in these posts as well as the practical aspects of them. This is my first post, though I’ve been a “lurker” for awhile.

I am visiting London for the first time for a week, February 7-14.

Sometime during my stay I would like to meet for coffee (or for non caffeine drinkers some other beverage) any and all who would like to meet: posters and lurkers alike. (Oh by the way, Greetings Lurkers! You are most warmly welcomed!).

Tentatively, I say Thursday, February 10, 2005 at 5:30 p.m. at a Starbucks which I will have to get back to you on. In any case, I will stay and wait ½ hour. Very soon I will give you the specific Starbucks location. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Anyhow, when I get the specifics there will be no need to RSVP, in fact it’s better that you don’t. Who knows, maybe you’ll get invited to a “fab” party by up-and-coming British politicians and won’t be able to make it. Just show up and stay for however long you want.

No guarantees, the whole thing could turn out to be a disaster, but hey, --no guts, no glory.

Speaking of which, this is my corollary idea: A Treasure Hunt! If I can muster it I will create a Treasure Hunt for any and all to participate in. (Although the main thing will be the meeting itself). It will be around a theme--- I’m leaning towards a King Arthur/medieval fantasy thing. It will undoubtedly by catastrophically “hokey” and very, very cheap. But fun! Now, this is if I can reach within myself and tap the inspiration, stamina, and courage to do this. Not to mention arranging the logistics. I would provide everything. One element that it will definitely have if I went with a medieval fantasy is a “Sword in a Stone” For some reason I am enamored with the idea of someone achieving the impossible task of pulling out a Sword from a Stone triumphantly and yelling “Excalibur”. (Now don’t give me any guff about that not being THE “Excalibur”, buy maybe I can do a more realistic enactment if I can find someone to play “The Lady of the Lake” perhaps myself).

Anyhow, if I can pull off creating the Treasure Hunt then you’ll recognize me at the cafe by the cone shaped medieval princess hat that I’ll be wearing, if not I’ll be holding a small sign that says “forums”.

Anyhow, I know everyone is terribly busy in this age in which we live, but if you feel irresistabley drawn to the idea of helping me on the above project, I would most happily welcome any input. Anyone willing to come along with me at midnight and stand look-out while I hide the clues (smile)?

You can email me at: [email protected] if you like.

Also, on a separate note: Is there enough room in London parks to fly a kite? I am thinking about taking an illuminated kite with me and flying it in the dusk.

By the way, I am in my thirties. . . (I am not worried about it --- it’s just that I suspect that the above post makes me sound like a little kid!). (side note: Happily Married!)

Jan 29th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Your husband must have the greatest sense of humor in the world!
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Starbucks? Sadly you can't smoke in there, but if it was convenient perhaps I'd join you, if it was somewhere like The Ritz maybe I'd be more tempted, but Starbucks would be subject to a lot of factors my dear.

Most amusing though.
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:35 AM

You make me wish I were going to be in London in February.
Have a lovely time~
Jan 29th, 2005, 07:18 AM

"Starbucks? Sadly you can't smoke in there"

That would be a big PLUS! We'll be in London in February - but the following week.
Jan 29th, 2005, 07:35 AM

In answer to your question, I do indeed urge you to go fly a kite.