Battersea Power Station

Jan 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Battersea Power Station

My husband and I are going to London for a week in May. I've spent lots of time there in the past, and he's never been there. We are adventurous travelers who are fine with walking a few miles at a stretch. Would it be possible (and worthwhile) for us to walk from our hotel in Westminster to Wandsworth to see the Battersea Power Station, and from there walk up to the Tate Modern? The distances don't look too bad on the map. Thanks in advance!
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I just walked this walk in Sep. paths along river can't be too much more than a mile anyway not far. Battersea Power Plant now derelict and debate over what to do with it. Been declared some kind of heritage industrial sight - behemoth old power plant on Thames. Tate Modern is in another similar old power plant, on Thames - a great walk goes along South Bank - lots of strollers here and great views - a tremendous walk!
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM

We actually did most of this walk about 3 weeks ago. We stayed at the City Inn near the Tate Britain. For the walk between the Vaxhall Bridge and the Chelsea Bridge on the Chelsea side, you could not walk along the water except toward the end. It was not that scenic, but my son who lives near the Battersea Park, says it is the better side to walk. There are apartments near the river on the other side that make it impossible to walk near the river.

Although we saw the Power Station from across the Thames, it didn't that neat that we would want to walk over to it via the Chelsea bridge. We continued to walk along the river to the Prince Albert Bridge, which was a very nice walk, by Chelsea townhouses, and viewing Battersea Park. This took 1 hour.

The Prince Albert Bridge is one of the most interesting bridges you'll ever walk across, have a Snakebite at the Prince Albert Pub one block down and then enter Battersea Park. The park is delightful with gardens, pitches, water features and the Japanese Peace Pagoda. In May it should be beautiful. (Before crossing the bridge, note the sculpture of the boy holding on to the swimming dolphin near the Mercedes dealership.)

I really don't think you could then walk to the Tate Modern. It does look short on a map, but it is really far. Perhaps you could walk up to the South Kensington tube and take it to near St. Paul's, walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern.
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM

According to the Journey Planner linked at www.thetube.com the walk from Battersea Power Station to Tate Modern would take 73 minutes. I don't know if that's accurate considering traffic and such, but it certainly sounds possible to do.

Are you interested in the Battersea Power Station for the Pink Floyd connection?
Jan 28th, 2005, 10:28 PM

The south bank of the Thames from Lambeth Palace east to Tate Modern and on past there to Tower Bridge isn't just worthwhile: it's one of the two or three best urban walks in the world, and can't take much more than an hour unless you dawdle (and you will). It's an entirely pedestrian riverside path.

Westbound from Lambeth Palace to Battersea Power Station, it's frankly dull on the south side. On the north it's pleasant enough as far as Chelsea, though you're walking along the side of a busy road and it's quite noisy. It's still a pretty short walk though.
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I've walked from Lambeth, or from Pimlico/Tate Britain to Vauxhall Bridge across to Lambeth and down river to Tate Modern or beyond many times and it is a terrific walk. Plan on taking a few hours - it is a fairly quick walk point to point -- but between the MANY photo ops and things to stop and see or detour to you need to add on a bit. And IF you visit the Tate or continue on to the Globe and tour it, you probably need to allocate 1/2 a day total.

The walk up river to Battersea definitely isn't a waste but would add a couple of hours to your walk if you stop at the two really interesting sites. Along Chelsea Embankment (if you take the northern bank) you will see Wren's Chelsea Hospital which is definitely worth a visit, and the Chelsea Physic Garden which is a must if you have any interest in gardening history.

Then across the Albert Bridge. (walking along the south bank from Lambeth to battersea isn't nearly as scenic/nice/easy.

I personally would seperate the two walks unless you plan on taking most of the day to do it as one.
Jan 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the great information! I'm beginning to think we should cross Westminster Bridge and take our time walking up to Southwark and make a day of it, and save Battersea for another day. Sounds like there is too much to do and I wouldn't want to rush, although I wouldn't mind taking a whole day just to do this chunk of the South Bank. Thanks for the information about Battersea Park. It sounds interesting.

I guess I'm interested in the power station because it's something different to see, and I've never been to that part of London.

Thanks again for the info!