Tempted by Delta, but (a rant)....

Jan 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Tempted by Delta, but (a rant)....

I'm tempted to buy a ticket on Delta for the Feb. long weekend, but I can't believe that I've been trying to call for about 10-15 minutes and the line is engaged. The same with the SkyMiles number.

Not even a recording?!

Is this airline as bad as I thought it was when I used them in October?

Maybe I should just save my money.

Jan 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM

It might not be Delta.but rather the circuits.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Well, I'm in Atlanta and we're having an ice storm as I try to get information about flights out tonight(for a friend). Perhaps the weather conditions have the lines tied up...I'd cut them some slack tonight.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM

It's Delta! I had to call them about a week ago and was on automated hold for 20 minutes before I got a person. Very frustrating but I live in Delta country so I don't have much choice. On the positive side - my daughter has been flying Delta to Boston multiple times this past year and has been very happy with them. Can't you book you ticket on the website?
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM

The Operations Research departments of airlines have an interesting job. They have to predict when people are going to phone, what flights they're going to reserve, and which ones they're going to no-show. With these numbers, they know what staffing levels their reservation centers will need at what times of the day/week/year, and what flights will be under- or over-booked so they can adjust prices and the number of seats to sell.

Needless to say, it is not an exact science.

In today's business climate, they always err on the side of profitability, e.g. by deliberately understaffing their reservation centers so that no agent will ever be sitting there with nothing to do. This (and over-booking) is done in the interest of maximizing shareholder equity.

Too bad for the public, but we live in a capitalistic society.
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM

>>This (and over-booking) is done in the interest of maximizing shareholder equity.>>

In Delta's case, wouldn't that be minimizing shareholders negative equity?

Stu Dudley
Jan 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

For what it's worth, it's about 4 hours later, at 11 pm. I just tried calling again and can't get through.

I guess I could buy on Orbitz or on their website (assuming the price hasn't changed), but I thought that I'd call them for my FF number, which I can never remember.

It really doesn't inspire much confidence, honestly. When I used them in October, I thought that they were quite a mess. The checkin procedure at JFK was just bizarre.

They used to be very good, but that seems to be the past now.
Jan 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Their website is good though, I must say, and the e-ticket confirmation came instantly.

I swore I'd never fly Air France again, but I guess I'm flying them on the way back (code share with Delta). I'm doing JFK/BRU CDG/JFK. Oh well. I guess I've lost my principles for money.

Jan 28th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Oh please. This is a rant about nothing.... if you're so dissatisfied with the lack of telephone service, then find another carrier-I don't know anyone who doesn't book on-line anyhow!

Having flown with Delta since I was a child,(and we're talking decades) I can't think of much of any problems I've had with them, domestic or international-their service has always been more than adequate-I give very few points to any carrier for their customer service (except perhaps certain Asian carriers)- the money for such just isn't there now.

Save your rants for something REALLY important, like lost luggage or missed connections!
Jan 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Now, now, time to chill. How about these suggestions for airline cost cutting as imagined by Bruce McCall in his "Shouts & Murmurs" column (January 10th "New Yorker")...

"As this airine's new chairman, I have the pleasure of announcing a host of other passenger-related initiatives inspired by our merger with the Fifteenth Circuit Bankruptcy Court:

--Baggage check-in and pick at the luggage carrousel are now two separate cash-pay opportunities.

--SkyBump, our pioneering new in-flight fare-hike program.

--On landing, if you haven't finished sucking your complimentary throat lozenge, please stick it on the armrest for the next passenger.

....Accordingly, new profit requirements dictate that children under five be carried in the overhead compartments on all flights. Remember: deposit ten dollars in nickels and set the time lock BEFORE bolting the compartment door shut. And, on the ground, we've simplified procedures dramatically, eliminating pre-flight passenger check-in service and seat selection. With our new AirSprint feature, all ticketed passengers in the departure lounge are invited to race for the jetway when the buzzer sounds. Passengers will be reassured to know that costly counter personnel have been transferred to such urgent duties as siphoning gas from cars in the parking lot to fuel our air fleet..."

111op: There lots more, but I hope this tidbit helped relieve the tension. Consider, if you will, that perhaps those usually assigned to phone duty are busy sucking.
Jan 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Uh, that should be "airLine's new chairman" and "baggage check-in and pick UP".

Sorry! But hey, it's late and that was a lot to type!
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Croque_Madame, that's funny.

Well, I think that I do expect to call an airline and at least get a recording. I don't mind being put on hold. But not getting through? But, as it is, I can't even get through (at an interval of four hours apart?).

But I guess I did buy my ticket so I'll fly them.

Personally I like American, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I bought my ticket. So I guess I can spend the time thinking about what I want to do next.
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Children under 5 in the overhead compartments-now that is a good idea!
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM

We always fly Delta and have had very little problem with them. Service is always great, 99% on time for the flights we have taken ( about 25 ), always a fair price.
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I may as well jump on Delta too. I always fly Delta to use FF miles. But have just realized that they have realigned some routes. A few years ago flew Delta Boston to London (6 1/2 hours)with no problems. Just checked for this summer and must fly through either Atlanta or Cincinnatti.

With wait time at the transit points it is now 17 1/2 hours. Would never accept that. Its ridiculous to fly half way accross country wets to then fly east. Therefore we are switching our future usage to American AL.
Jan 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM

When we fly Delta from LAX to CDG this
May the flight is only 10 1/2 hours non stop. Last Sept we went to atlanta then
to Amsterdam from LAX and the total trip time was 11 1/2 hours. I have always been very careful to choose the
shortest flight times because I have seen the long flights you are talking about davidjac. Delta has been good to us plus, after this trip to Paris we will have enough FF miles to go back to europe for free.