Search

Omni William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh to Heinz Field

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omni William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh to Heinz Field

Hi everyone,

We are coming from California and taking our two boys, ages 16 and 21 to Pittsburgh to see their two favorite teams, the Steelers and the Saints, play football. We will be staying at the Omni William Penn. The game is November 12. Is this hotel walking distance to the stadium? Also, are there any restaurants we can't miss? We like all kinds of food. Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:05 AM

Yes, it is walking distance. It will probably take you about 30 minutes. Most of the walk is thru downtown streets, then across a bridge. Some ideas for the boys...Primanti's. A Pittsburgh specialty. They have all types of sandwiches which include french fries and cole slaw right on the sandwich. There is a location in Market Square, which is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel in the direction of Heinz Field. There are other bars/restaurants in this same area. Station Square is another area they might enjoy. You can take a boat shuttle from Station Square to Heinz Field.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM

Primantis has terrible greasy food. I'd recommend Max and Erma's at intersect of Stanwix Street and Ft. Pitt Blvd. Gateway Center location, not far from the Hilton Hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance and it will probably take more than 30 minutes (probably 45-60 min) to walk to. I'd suggest walking through Point State Park and ask for directions to the North Side Bridge. You have to walk to your right in the park and you will come to a sitting area and then go down steps and make another right and you should see the North Side bridge. It should be easy to walk over. If this is too far for you to walk in November, there are shuttles that go over to the stadium. Another option is to have lunch/dinner before the game over at Station Square by walking a very short walk to the Steel Plaza subway stop (1-5 min walk tops). You can see the Steel Plaza station from street level (Grant Street) which one of the Wm Penn Hotel's entrances are on. You'll see the shopping/eating place from East Carson just follow the people traffic. You can and should be able to get a Gateway Clipper Fleet boat on over to the Heinz Field from Station Square.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Just check on the Gateway Clipper transportation though when you get to Pgh. Not sure about that service timetable.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM

2 GOOD restaurants in pittsburgh are Lydia's in the "Strip District" and Myorca on the "southside". max and erma's is just a TGIFriday's clone. Yes, primanti's is greasy - but it is a pittsburgh must - go to the location in the Strip District. The Saturday morning before the game head down to the Strip around 10-11am and take in the shops/vendors. have lunch at primanti's then. avoid the restaurants up on Mt Washington - all are overpriced (but excellent views) and have very average food.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM

If it is REALLY cold you can take a subway a smidge closer to the bridge. The Omni is such an interesting historic hotel. There is an Amazon cafe next to the hotel that has good food (salads sandwiches) at inexpensive prices if you are in need of a snack.

The kids might like sports rock in the for "bar" food. I would also suggest taking an incline ride for the view.

By the way I'm fairly certain there is a Primantis in Heinz field Get one of their special sandwiches and see if you guys like it. I bet at least one of them will. Personally I skip them but I'm a picky eater.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM

I can confirm there is a Primanti's at Heinz Field - I think even a couple. But they doesn't have quite the number of choices (or nearly the atmosphere) that the original Primanti's in the strip would. This is my all-time favorite Pittsburgh food - you have to go there!

Also at Heinz Field, another locally famous option - Quaker Steak & Lube for wings.

Mapquest clocks the Omni to Heinz Field at about 1.3 miles - so depending upon how quickly you walk you should have no problem making the trek in about 30 min. And on a gameday I'm sure there will be others making the same walk, so it might be half the fun to take in the atmosphere walking through the city & through the tailgates in all of the parking lots as you get nearer the stadium.

Have a great trip...Go Stillers!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:44 PM

well I went to Primantis once and hated the overgreased food. Its is a greasy spoon restaurant and don't believe it is typical Pittsburgh fare. Pittsburgh is made up of many nationalities and there are many many ethnic restaurant, and even chain ones, that are way better than Primantis. Only time a guy @ work can tolerate the food is when he gets drunk, then I guess everything tastes good.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Easy to walk to the field from the Omni. It probably does take 30 minutes, but once you reach the river, there are so many people walking that the time passes quickly. For the University of Pittsburgh games, at least, they close the Roberto Clemente Bridge to pedestrian traffic only--not sure about the Steelers or Pirates games.

I'm not a Primanti Brothers fan myself (husband LOVES it), but it is definitely a must-eat in Pittsburgh. You don't often find other places that put your fries and coleslaw ON the sandwich along with the meat and bread.

Sign up for the Omni Select Guest program--they often send free upgrade or free weekend night coupons, and they offer a free morning beverage (hot and cold) for all members of your party. Also be sure to request a larger room with an additional powder room--if you are all staying in one room, you could use the extra bath. The room sizes vary greatly, so be sure to request something large.

There are some restaurants at Station Square (on the other side of the other river!) that your kids might like--Hard Rock Cafe, Joe's Crab Shack, Hooters.

Your boys might like to arrive at the game via riverboat/paddleboat instead of walking. Walk out the rear of the Omni and get on the "T" subway. Take it over to Station Square (might be the second stop), eat and shop a bit, then hop the boat to the stadium. It's a novel way to approach. You can buy a one-way tix and walk back; but you can't do the reverse and buy one from the stadium to Station Square.

The Grand Concourse (again at Station Square) has an awesome Sunday brunch. It's a bit pricey (about $25 per person), but is quite elaborate. And the restored railway station locale is really pretty (which YOU will appreciate, but not the boys).

Take one of the inclines up to Mount Washington to enjoy the views of the city. I travel quite a bit, but haven't seen inclines like the ones in Pittsburgh anywhere else.

I'm a fan of downtown Pittsburgh (visiting 4-5 times per fall football season), and hope you will be too!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:42 AM

Hi,
Have a wonderful time! Heinz Field is amazing, and the walk over the bridge is a lot of fun. I lived in Pittsburgh for 6 years and can definately recommend Station Square for restaurants / night life. If you like ethnic food, I would recommend going to Squirrel Hill - there are great Thai, Japanese, Chinese, and other restaurants there and it's a cute area to walk around. I highly recommend Aladdin's for middle eastern food - it's a chain, but only in Ohio/PA and is delicious and really affordable.

I would highly recommend starting to walk over to the game early - the walk over is so much fun and you'll see toms of people walking around in great Steelers outfits! There are several sports bars on the way, and it's worth it to stop in for a beer/soda - the atmosphere is so intense and fun before a game.

Have a wonderful time! Pittsburgh is a great city and we love our Steelers!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM

pitt:

I'd recommend more for ethnic restaurants North Oakland, just before Squirrel Hill, on Craig Street, between the parallel one way avenues of Forbes and Fifth where they have an Italian, India, Mid East (Ali Baba) and Union Grill (American) restaurants along with a coffee house/shop on the corner of Forbes/Craig Street. If they are up in that area the sons may really enjoy the Carnegie Museum of Arts and Natural History which is attached to the Carnegie Library.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Very true!
That's another great spot - Union Grill is a college favourite so your sons might enjoy that and Ali Baba is another great choice. The museums are really nice also - thanks Stephanie!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I apologize for post crashing but I need help from anyone familiar with the Pittsburg area. My husband and I will be attending the US Open at Oakmont Country Club in June 07. Hotels are already selling out or have raised rates. I have booked at the Radisson on Mall Blvd. in Monroeville. Can anyone out there give me any info on this hotel? What is the area like? Are there any decent restaurants? How far is it from Oakmont? I did post under Raddisson Pittsburg but haven't gotten any responses. Once again sorry I post crashed and any info is appreciated!!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I'm not sure how far it is from Oakmont, but I'm very familiar with Monroeville. There are tons of restaurants, basically every large chain has a restaurant right on the main road in Monroeville. There's lots of strip malls and a mall there so there's things like Red Lobster and Fridays, etc. (BTW - PittsburgH)
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Hi - I've stayed in this Radisson, most recently last fall, and it's nice enough. Your basic 3-star corporate hotel, similar to a Marriott I thought. Monroeville from Oakmont is probably about 20-30 min (depending upon traffic). You can either take back roads, or take the PA Turnpike. There is a lovely B&B (with golf-themed rooms) right in Oakmont by the country club that I've stayed at as well, but I am presuming that's fully booked. Oakmont is a lovely little town - hope you enjoy your visit!