London: Albert Bridge

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:43 AM
ChatNoir

London: Albert Bridge

Any rants or raves about it? What area is it located in and what is the closest underground station? Anything interesting that's close by and easy to combine in one visit?

I read it is London's prettiest bridge.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a bridge it is certainly attractive - but not somethin I'd go out of my way to see. But it is in Chelsea so you could combime a walk across the bridge w/ a visit to The Chelsea Physic Garden, Chelsea Hospital (one of Wren's masterpieces) and a walk along Cheyne Row/Chesleas Embankment to see some really lovely homes.

There isn't a tube station really nearby - closest on the north side of the river would probably be Sloane Square.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:57 AM

It's beautiful lit up at night. I wouldn't go to the area just to see it, but if you're walking along the waterfront it's a nice treat to see.

We had eaten in Chelsea and went for an after dinner walk past the hospital. The pictures we took in front of the bridge are some of my favorites from that London trip.

It's not near any tube stops that I can recall. The closest would probably be Putney Bridge or Vauxhaull (on the south bank), but we walked along the river east and up to Pimlico.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks for the inputs.

Now that you have pointed me in the right direction, it also looks to be close to Carlyle's House and Cheyne Walk.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM

Yes - I meant Cheyne WALK -- don't know where that "Row" came from . . . . . .
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:47 AM
ron

One way to see the bridge and the neighbourhood is to take the London Walks Sunday night Chelsea Pub Walk, which starts at Sloane Square and ends the Kings Head and Eight Bells pub just past the Chelsea side of the bridge.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:20 AM

There's a book we bought a couple years ago on Literary Walks of London. We stayed near Sloane Square and followed a walk (from the book) through Chelsea that was truly wonderful. You'll see everything from George Smiley's place (LeCarre) to the house where Bram Stoker wrote Dracula. And much in between (the church where Charles Dickens was married, and simply too many others to mention) It was a lovely bridge.