Walking from Trafalgar Square to London Eye

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at my Streetwise London map, it looks as though the best way is to go down Northumberland Ave at the SE corner of Trafalgar Square and then across the Hungerford Foot Bridge, which looks as though it goes right into Waterloo Station. My question is, can you get off the foot bridge somewhere before going all the way into the station and having to come back out? Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Hungerford Foot Bridge takes you to the South Bank very close to Royal Festival Hall. You'll be able to see the London Eye. Walk along the Thames to get there. It's a very pleasant walk.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:17 AM

As you get off the bridge just make a right turn and you are very near the London Eye. To the left would be Royal Festival Hall and further on (straight ahead) is Waterloo Station. You do not exit in the station.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM

You can even leave the bridge by lift

[email protected]
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this info. Good to know about the lift, too, Ben. I'm all for avoiding stairs where possible, as I have some arthritis in my knees and will have my 80-year-old mother with me (although she's in very good shape!).
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM

Fro T Sq down Whitehall,past Downing Street on the right,at the bottom of Whitehall (Parliament Sq,Big Ben) turn left,over Westminster Bridge,& turn left onto South Bank & London Eye.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:23 PM

Whether you use Hungerford or Westminster Bridge is really 6 of 1/ half a dozen of the other. But I agree w/ Godfrey. If I were starting from Trafalgar Sq., I'd probably walk down Whitehall past Downing Street and the Banqueting Hall to Big Ben and across Westminster Bridge. The view of Big Ben, Parliament and the Eye is terrific on this route.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Godfrey & Janis, While I appreciate that the view might be nice with the Westminster Bridge route, we will see that when we go to Buckingham Palace & Westminster Abbey, so I was looking for the shortest route (I know we'll be doing plenty of walking and want to minimize it when possible). From my map, it looks like the Hungerford route is definitely shorter, or am I wrong about that?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:59 PM

Well actually I believe the two routes are almost exactly the same distance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:06 PM
ron

If saving steps is important, instead of walking down Northumberland to the river bank and then climbing back up onto the Hungerford Bridge, you should walk through Charing Cross station, which is at bridge level. In the concourse, you head over to the left of the tracks.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:05 AM

I work on Whitehall, and the Hungerford Bridge way is quicker. Its also less busy.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ron & Jim. As it turns out, saving steps is even more important now, as my mother tripped last week and hurt her foot. Fortunately, it is already much better, and we don't leave until the 21st, so we hope it will be OK. I was looking at the map again, and we may even hop on a bus for part of the way. I appreciate all the info.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Susan

Something else to bear in mind is that the east side of Nothumberland Ave has now been designed so that you do not need to cross any busy traffic roads to get to the south bank (unlike Whitehall)- and as Ben has said there is a lift from street level up to the Hungerford foot bridge (Golden Jubilee Bridge as it is now called).
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

David, Thanks for this additional info. Looks like this would be the way to go.