Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From central London to Laban Centre by public transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see new Laban Centre(designed by Herzog &amp; de Meuron)at Creekside,Deptford in my coming visit, but couldn't find the location info on the website. I would be apprecaited if someone could let me know the direction by public transportation.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM

I don't know the Laban Centre, but Creekside is very near DLR Deptford Bridge station. From Central London go to Bank or Tower Gateway, and take Lewisham bound train. It's a stop next to Greenwich. I suggest you get London A to Z street atlas, page 88, quadrant 7D. It's in Zone 2, so the cheapest Travelcard will cover it.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:15 PM

<BR><BR><BR>A quicker route than Docklands Light Railway is to go to platform 1 at London Bridge station and take the train five minutes to Deptford station. Then north up the High Street, and to the Creek. After you have been, you might like to see the Peckham Library, a prizewinner, by taking a bus from the northern end of Deptford High Street to Peckham.<BR><BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Dear Alec and Mr Haines, Many thanks for the replies. I would certainly go to Peckham as well.<BR><BR>Any bus to Deptford from central London?<BR><BR>Any other interesting building around that area to see for a day outing? I have greatly enjoyed the visits to Dulwich and Thames Barriers last December.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Only the 188, I think - from Russell Square to Greenwich via Holborn, Aldwych and Waterloo. It goes along Creek Rd. <BR><BR>The 47 from Shoreditch via London Bridge runs a bit further west to Deptford Broadway.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Dear Patrick,thank you for the info.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:29 AM

In 2001 and 2002 the Royal Institute of British Architects (http://www.architecture.com) gave awards to<BR><BR>Southwark Cathedral Millennium Project, SE1 <BR>Development<BR>London Bridge tube<BR>Richard Griffiths Architects <BR><BR>Bloomfield Court, SE18<BR>London Bridge to Woolwich Arsenal<BR>Walter Menteth Architects<BR><BR>Thames Barrier Park, <BR>North Woolwich Road, E16. <BR>Patel Taylor Architects<BR><BR>I enjoy the new tube stations all along the Jubilee Line in south London.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Dear Mr Haines, Many thanks for the reply.<BR><BR>I have visited these sites you mentiones on my previous visits and enjoyed them very much.<BR><BR>Any other suggestion? Doesn't have to be grand,something local colour would be quite interesting also,such as the walk I attended around Telegraph Hill last March.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:31 AM

I am afraid very little comes to mind. The St Johns Church Goose Green Festival, in September, has presented walks near Peckham Rye at times: one year they showed me the tree where Blake saw the angel. But the parish site at http://www.dswark.org/parishes/097p.htm mentioins no festival at all.<BR><BR>The Dulwich Festival, 16 to 24 May, may include walks when their programme comes out: www.dulwichfestival.co.uk/<BR><BR>I do not think the Greenwich and Docklands Festivals, 5 to 13 July, have walks, but you can check when their programme comes out.<BR><BR>More famous places are used to tourists coming for walks -- Deptford, Greenwich, Blackheath, Dulwich, Brixton, Richmond, Ham House, over the foot ferry to Orleans House and right out toHasmpstead. Even they probably have no organised walks with leaders, but the borough tourist offices of Southwark, Lewisham, Greenwich, and Richmond will I think send you leaflets to say where you might wander. The trouble is, each has a stronger flavour than Telegraph Hill, more history, more money. Perhaps we on Telegraph Hill are special in thinking that our own few streets of standard housing have enough history to justify an organised walk. But I well recall your note to this forum a year ago, so I know you agree with us. (Did I ever mention that one of the festival organisers, who had been volunteering very long hours, burst into tears when she read your note ?)<BR><BR>You already know, I think, that I have on disc notes about visiting Lewisham and Brixton, that I can e-mail to enquirers.<BR><BR>There are conservation societies all over the London suburbs, and just sometimes they arrange local walks. Worth checking are<BR>Sydenham Society www.sydenhamsociety.com/<BR>Brockley Society www.brockley.com/brocsoc/<BR>East Dulwich Society www.lordshiplane.co.uk/<BR>And I think the Hampstead Society. <BR><BR>Sorry: thin harvest today.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Dear Mr Haines, Thank you again for the reply,with so many sites, there shall be many interesting places to visit. I will stop by London about half a dozen times before the summer, hopefully,I would have chance to attend some of the festivals.<BR><BR>I have a booklets &quot;Green Chain&quot; walks about Southeast London from Greenwich Tourist Centre, it is quite helpful too.<BR><BR>You were so very kind to e-mail me the file on Lawisham and Brixton last year, I have visited some areas alreay.<BR><BR>Do you know the private-owned square gardens will be open to public again this June?<BR><BR>Would you consider post the programnme of Telegraph Hill Spring Festival this March? I am sure there will be many visitors delighted to have chance to enjoy the non-touristy events such as you did in Tallinn last Mid-Summer.<BR><BR>&quot;Burst into tars&quot;?! By my lamentable English?! Perhaps your organisers would like to know: Following your example,my brother held a historical walk around my tiny home village this Chinees New Year,the first time in 300 years.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:49 AM

For Ms Chen<BR><BR>Watch this space.<BR><BR>Ben Haines
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:25 AM

For Ms Chen<BR><BR>Watch this space.<BR><BR>Ben Haines