Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stay at London Marriott Maida Vale??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
Jamila

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Maida Vale in London? Is it close to Paddington station? I want to be able to take the Heathrow Express.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:16 PM

I have never stayed there, but once I considered staying there, so I found out where it is. It is located between the tube stations of Maida Vale and Kilburn Park. I would estimate it is about 1-1/2 to 2 miles from Paddington Station.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:08 PM

I have stayed there. Very large rooms, refrigerator in each room (not a mini bar, so you can use it for your own soda and groceries), marble tiles in the bathroom, gorgeous health club. It's about a 5 minute walk to Kilburn Park tube.
It's not a place I would walk alone at night, but with a friend you're fine.

Not the most posh neighborhood, but the hotel is very well maintained.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Stayed there one night on a free stay. Never again. I found it way too far out and really felt the neighborhood was not that safe for a single female.

Hotel itself was nice, but who wants to go to London to see a hotel?
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 03:05 PM

I stayed here last summer (priceline!) and loved it. The rooms are large and having a refrigerator is a huge bonus. The bathrooms are also big and everything was kept exceptionally clean. I also remember things being very quiet both inside and outside the hotel.

There are bus stops right next to the hotel and the tube is less than 5 minutes away. This hotel is in zone 2, but I didn't find that to be hard to deal with at all. We hired Ray Skinner to pick us up at the airport and bring us to the hotel (and also going back from hotel to airport), so I can't help you with the Heathrow Express.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:24 AM

We too have hired Ray Skinner for this trip..--but just how far away are we. Last time we took the double decker hop on hop off and want to do the same again. Couldn't do the Tower last time so want to do that and the Victoria-Albert and shop the Oxford High street. Any advise would be great
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM

It may be a Marriott, but it's hardly in Maida Vale. It's really at the less seedy end of Kilburn - a pretty unglamorous area, though one where, to be honest,the only danger a single woman might face would be if she carried an "intern the IRA" banner

The easiest way of judging where it really is is to input its postcode (NW6 5RP)into www.multimap.com. Kilburn Park tube station is about 7 mins' journey from Paddington on the Bakerloo Line.

Oxford High Street, though probably the most beautiful main street in Britain, really isn't very good for any kind of shopping, and is approximately 57 miles west of the Kilburn Marriott. If you mean Oxford Street, Oxford Circus tube station is about 12-15 mins away from Kilburn Park tube, again on the Bakerloo line.

Getting to the V+A, using the highly unreliable Circle Line, will take at least 30 mins on the rare occasions the line's working properly
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Have not stayed at the Marriott but stayed at Carleton Court timeshare a block away and ate at Marriott twice. It seemed very good..Italian restaurant was fine (but a bit expensive) and the employees were extra friendly and accomodating at the time we were there. Don't know about walking at night but does not seem a bad neighborhood in the daytime. You can walk or take bus few blocks to Maida Vale tube stop and the Waterloo line goes directly to Paddington. Nothing is too far out of the way in London if you are close to tube stop.
We have been to London 4 times and usually stayed in another area but we liked the Maida Vale area fine and think the Marriott would not be a bad choice.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Correction to my above message...I meant to say it is the Bakerloo underground line that goes directly to Paddington, not the Waterloo. Sorry.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:46 AM

Interesting. I've got this hotel booked for next weekend. I'm a single female traveling alone. I needed to stay at a Marriott and this was the best rate and location for what I needed. I'm hoping to be able to walk into Soho, Covent Garden, etc and spend the day and then take a taxi back at night. I'm assuming that this will all be okay?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Have a look at the tube map here.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf

I'd take the tube and taxi back if you want. If you're up early on Sat. morning, a stop at the Portobello Road market (at Notting Hill Gate tube stop) might be fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM

Good hotel with an accomodating staff and a quick jump on the 98 or 16 bus gets you to the Marble Arch and onto every location for a pound. Large room with a King sized bed and good plumbing