Paris-what to do at night with Mom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, Mom (age 67) and I are heading to Paris (without the kids YEAH!) in May for 5 night and staying in the 7th. I'm looking for some night time activities for us to do. I've been to Paris several times, but my mom has never been so I was thinking maybe a cabaret type show but I'd love some other suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Well, my wife and I are a little older than your mom, but we have enjoyed going to concerts, then wandering the streets; ditto after dinner (people eat later in France, so you may not get out before 10-11 but the streets are safe; taking one of the Seine cruises (I like the Vedettes at Pont Neuf better than the others but I would take whichever was closest to my hotel; wandering slowly around Notre Dame and noticing the details, which are brilliantly, brilliantly lit. We have never been to the movies in Paris (I was scared off after I tried to get my wife to go to a Woody Allen festival) but I would like to, maybe next month, probably in one of those theaters in Montparnasse just for the experience.

We are not much on night life as such.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi sw,

Cabaret shows are expensive.

Walking along the Seine is cheap.

Check the museum closing times, eg, the Pompidou is open until 11 on Thursdays.

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM

I go to the movies all the time in lots of places, and I enjoy film so like the downtime, but there isn't anything particular special about the experience that I can think of in Montparnasse, in particular. They are just regular movie theaters like anywhere else. If you don't know French, you have to be sure to find an English language film, of course, which isn't that difficult as there are always lots of American or British films showing.

What would you do at home with her in a city? I do the same thing pretty much when traveling as at home, I don't tend to ever go to special tourist type shows like the cabarets in Paris or their equivalent elsewhere. But I love classical music and dance, so really like to go to concerts in Paris, but I just go to small free/cheap ones in churches or other venues. Depends what is on and what the repertoire is, but I do that kind of thing a lot at home.

I just look in an entertainment guide for things to do, they list everything (films, concerts, dance, whatever). I usually read l'Officiel des Spectacles, but Pariscope is also at every newsstand.

Why don't you just ask her what she'd like to do, she must have an opinion as to whether she would like to go to a cabaret show or not. It's not my thing, but some people do enjoy that experience or have heard about them so want to see them. They can be expensive, but if she has been dying to go to the FOlies Bergere her whole life, I'd do it for the experience. I think the FOlies Bergere and the Moulin Rouge are the ones that people go to becaue they've heard about them. Some others are definitely not anything remotely "historical". At least the Folies Bergere has some history behind it, although to be honest, I'm not sure they do that old cabaret thing any more, I know it is just a venue now for various concerts and things, I wouldn't mind seeing the interior myself.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:58 AM

A concert at Ste Chapelle is a lovely experience, generally well-known classical music. Beautiful way to see the chapel. Pariscope and l'Officiel list all the church concerts, as well as everything else. Buying tickets online or a few days ahead at any FNAC store (small surcharge) lets you jump the entrance queue.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The Cafe Laurent in the Hotel d'Aubusson in the 6th Arrondissement has live jazz in a relaxed atmosphere on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from 9:00 to midnight.
http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/en/hotel/cafe-laurent

I am just a few years younger than your mother but I enjoyed the standup comedy show "How to become Parisian in one hour" by a Parisian comic who has lived in the US. He plays to a mixed audience of locals and tourists. Some of it is pretty raunchy, I thought it was a hoot.
http://www.oliviergiraud.com/UK/
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM

One of my favorite experiences was an evening of Baroque dance at the Louvre, in one of the 18th century rooms.

I agree, consult Pariscope. There's so much on offer. FNAC also has listings in the store.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM

And check out www.whatsonwhen.com
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM

I agree with a Seine cruise and a concert. Usually I'm too tired to do much after dinner. You can wander around and stop in a cafe for a wine or dessert and people watch. Some museums are open late.

Find out the Friday night skate route and watch them zoom by - hundreds and hundreds of people on skates - it's interesting for a few minutes.

St-Sulpice has a free concert in May. Other free concerts will be listed in Pariscope (available at news kiosks).

http://www.stsulpice.com/
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Definitely take a Seine cruise after dark. It is so gorgeous. The inexpensive Batobus runs till about 9 or 10, depending on the season. It is worth getting a hop-on-hop-off multi-day pass. The Batobus is a great way to take sit down and take a break while sightseeing.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - some great suggestions. I have a sneaking suspicion that she (we) will be pooped after dinner but I definately want to have options.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Take a taxi to Montmartre and wander around looking at the people painting and find a cafe for a wine/coffee. Perhaps find a cafe with a singer or some intertainment. Look at the city lights from in front of Sacre Coeur. I would either arrange with the cab to pick you up at a certain time (get the cab number or a card) or have the restaurant call you a cab. I've seen few cabs on Montmartre near Sacre Coeur or Place du Tertre.

The Rodin Museum is open at night (starting last year). It's small and not overwhelming like the Louvre or Orsay. It looks rather inviting at night.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/museum/...-night-opening
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM

More on the Friday night roller-blade parade. They always start near the Gare Montparnasse, and then take a different route each week (which isn't announced until quite late):
http://pari-roller.com/la-randonnee/...e-rendez-vous/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uImfQG-C5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94NFZ7eRR4A
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I SO want to participate in the roller blade parade but I'm not sure it would be good for mom's new hip! LOL!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:30 PM

swalter - your mom can do the Sunday afternoon skate at a more relaxed pace! LOL
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 11:59 PM

one other tip: take the bus! you get everywhere, they're easy to get into (level floor, low entry and exit). And there's a number of lines that take you past the well known sites. (e.g. the bus from Eiffel tower to Montmartre crosses Elyssees, Grand Boulevards, Butte Montmartre etc. )
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:03 AM

And if a cabaret is your thing, they don't get any more stylish and classy than this one. Be aware that you need to dress for it

http://paris.angloinfo.com/whatson/e...radise-of-love
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if the Cirque d'Hiver is performing at a moment, but it is always a hit with all ages. I took my mother when her Alzheimer's was only in "semi full bloom" and she loved it. Of course I'm sure that your mother is in perfect health.

For something truly totally jaw dropping that tourists never see, you might want to try Zingaro at the Fort d'Aubervilliers. It's in the suburbs, but the metro goes right to the entrance, and obviously the show is scheduled to end in time to give everybody the possiblity of getting home with no problem.

http://www.bartabas.fr/Zingaro