Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's to do for the 40 something crowd?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking through the night life in Paris and most of what I have seen is mostly young and not to many that look around my age. Or at least they don't look like it..lol..Just don't want to feel out of place you know. Any thoughts folks?
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM

What kind of nightlife are you looking for? I think if you are looking at dance clubs and that kind of thing (or trendy bar/"disco" type place), that is their clientele. I never really went in for that stuff much even when I was young. Well, maybe in the disco era when I was in my 20s.

Anyway, of course there are many cafes around where the age range is up to whatever you want. That is typical nightlife in Paris, it seems to me, people may go to a cafe with friends (or alone, of course) and sit and talk and have a glass of wine or whatever. Some cafes skew younger, but most do not, it seems to me. I often stay in Montparnasse and have my favorite cafes which don't skew young (although I know the ones that do, you can tell just be looking at who is sitting around on the terrace, of course).

My idea of nightlife is going to a classical music concert or the ballet, same at home, and that isn't only young people. I also go to the cinema a lot, but that may not be what you had in mind. I wouldn't call it nightlife, that's true, just entertainment.

okay, if you want music and dancing, try Caveau de la Huchette in the Latin Qtr down near the quai, you cn look up the address. I don't know how long you are there, but I hope you bought a weekly entertainment guide as that will have it in it (and say who is playing, they have live music), as well as many other places. All ages are there, some nice French lawyer tried to pick me up there when I was about your age, there were lots of people over age 20/30 in there. Well, he was nice to talk to, anyway. Some other guys in there did also, and they thought it was a compliment when they asked my age (and I'm usually honest) and then said I was "bien preservee". Not a great pick-up line when you say that to a 42 yo woman IMO I went went a couple girlfriends, but given the crowds, we were kind of separated some, anyway, so I think you could go in alone if you wanted.

I've also met guys at Cafe des Phares over near place de la Bastille on nights they had some jazz trio (so you just listen, have your wine, talk to folks right next to you if they are amenable), but they don't usually have music over there, I went because I saw it in l'Officiel des Spectacles. So I look for low-key places like that with live music if I am not going to a concert or some dance performance. There is also some cafe right on the Quai Montebello just one or two places to the east of the intersection of Petit Pont which has live music some nights, you can go by there and see what they have posted. I don't remember the name of the place, I think it's something Alsacien.

Maybe if you said a little more what you were looking for, it would help.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not being more specific.
Love jazz as I grew up with it, and classical as well. Both from family members. So live jazz would be great and relaxing for me. Will be checking some of the cafes where I will be staying around the 15e.

Going on my own this time to Paris, made plans through a tour group. One of the first days is group tour then the rest of the week is on my own. But basicly 8 days to walk around and enjoy as I see fit.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:06 PM

http://7lezards.com/welcome.htm
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Nice like to the 7lezards
been unable to find pamphlets about what is playing here or there. Will I have to wait till I get to Paris?
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Parlez-vous francais? here's the website of the publication mentioned by Christina, l'Officiel des Spectacles, which lets you search by date: http://www.offi.fr/ I have not used the publication in years, or the website at all, so can't vouch but it looks like it would provide some promising leads for advance planning . .
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM

La Petit Journal on Boulevard St. Michel has good jazz performances. It's definitely somewhere you could go yourself for either just the performance or dinner and performance (I did that just last year). You can google them and see who will be there, but don't be afraid to go even if you're not familiar with the musician. I had a wonderful time there and enjoyed an excellent performance even though I hadn't heard of the performer before going there.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Je comprends some francais. I will search for the site.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

La Petit Journal, sounds like I may have heard that one in passing.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM

It's "le" petit journal, if you are searching. Both those words are masculine (petit and journal, at least they are correct).

I don't really like jazz that much myself, but there are lots of jazz clubs, of course, Paris specializes in that. Most start late, that's one reason I don't go to them, so I don't have a good fix how easy it would be to go to one of these alone (they are small and crowded, it may not be that easy to get in). Of course, being November, it may be easier.

Entertainment guides are easy to get in Paris, there isn't any real reason to get them ahead (they don't always have schedules far ahead for many things, anyway). They sell for less than one euro at every news kiosks in Paris (ask for Pariscope or l'Officiel des Spectacles). I am surprised l'Officiel is now online, as Pariscope used to be but stopped (I think they figured out it was kind of dumb to give away info when they sold it for so cheap to begin with. You aren't likely going to know the names of many of the acts, anyway. Well, give that URL a try and see what you find.

The tourist office has listings of events, also, although they are not nearly comprehensive in terms of small or free things (and probalby not places like jazz clubs). It is always a good source of info www.parisinfo.com

FNAC has lots of stuff that requires tickets (as they are a ticket vendor, in addition to a store) but again, that isn't going to be small stuff www.fnac.com in Spectacles.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM

http://7lezards.com/

There are also concerts in churches in Paris, and special events of all kinds all over. You can check www.whatsonwhen.com for the period when you'll be there.

BTW, I was in Paris many, many times alone when I was in my 40s and never felt uncomfortable doing much of anything - I didn't hang out at a lot of bars and such, but I went to plays and concerts and movies and just sat at cafés in the evening many times. I think you can have a grand time in Paris at any age.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe that 7 Lezards has been closed for several years. And the link to their website shows no programs after 2007.

A schedule of jazz performances can be found on the website of the Paris jazz radio station at http://www.tsfjazz.com/jazzenda.php. You can also listen to this station on line to get in the mood by clicking on "Ecouter TSF".
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Nikki...will check the link out tonight. Thanks on letting me know about how long the 7lizard has been closed.

StCirq...thanks for that I will just find some places that I feel relaxed in instead of worry about age.

Christina....putting it on my list the links.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM

I think 7lezards is closed also. I remember looking into it and going to look for it in 2008 when I was in Paris in 2008 but finding it boarded up....but maybe not.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Homework for the night..finding jazz clubs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM

Pick up a Pariscope and Officiel des Spectacles when you land. These are weekly magazines that lists tons of events upcoming week.

I've done a fair number of classical music concerts at local churches. Good acoustics!

I've also gone to the cinema. Look for listing of English movies with VO label, to indicate screened in English.

There is also a playhouse offering Enlgish plays, I must research to get the name.

There are a few websites out there for Jazz Clubs and reccomendations. The Caveau I have seen mentioned a few times.

Night time is also when I suggest to do Seine river cruises, since the ligghts of the city are quite nice. A view of the Eiffel from Trocadero, at night, would be spectacular.

One of my to-dos is to go watch the salsa dancers at the Outdoor Scuplture museum, which is on the edge of the Seine, Left Bank, east of Notre Dame.

Opera, ballet,etc are there. FNAC, which also sells tickets, lists other events, like concerts.