Jazz clubs in Paris

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jazz clubs in Paris

We'll be in Paris in May and would like to go to a jazz club. We're in our 60s and not particularly nimble, so climbing down into a cave may not be the best option. Also, would prefer a place where you can get a drink and perhaps light food rather than a sit-down meal and show. Our musical tastes are eclectic. We are staying just to the east of the Luxembourg Gardens, although would go anywhere we could find something suitable.
Any experiences or suggestions?
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Here's a website listing Jazz clubs by arridismont:
http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/france.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM

For some reason the site that Plafield directed you to makes it look as if Le Petit Journal is in the first (at least on my computer) but it's actually in the fifth arrondisment right across from Luxembourg Gardens. The music room is downstairs but it's not a long flight. You don't have to eat their supper...there are plenty of meal options in that area. I don't remember having advance reservations so you might poke your head in and check out the stairs before you decide.

Le Peit Journal Saint-Michel. 71 Boulevard Saint-Michel, 75005 Paris. tel: 01 43 26 28 59 [The club lies in the center of the Latin Quarter, opposite the Jardin du Luxembourg. Created in 1971, it is the "high temple" in Paris for the jazz of New Orleans. Some of the country's top artists appear here, including Claude Bolling. The music is downstairs in an underground cellar. Open Monday to Saturday 9:30pm to 2am.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM

When in May will you be there? The Saint Germain du Pres Jazz Festival is from May 20 to June 3 this year:

www.festivaljazzsaintgermainparis.com
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 02:06 AM

You could try Le Caveau de la Huchette, Rue de la Huchette in the 5th which has a program of jazz and swing bands every night. It is fun to just watch the people who come there for the swing dancing, they take it very seriously. You dont have to eat but I think I paid a cover charge and the drinks were quite expensive, so we just sat on our drinks for a looong time.However it is a cave but not too difficult to negotiate, my husband and I are both around 60.
The other venue is Aux Trois Mailletz, 56 Rue Galande, again in the 5th. There is a great piano bar with a mix of music, and I mean a mix. Everything from opera to jazz, again drinks were expensive but you didnt have to order food. I really liked this place, not a flash place, just wooden floors and wooden tables. Also there is a cabaret downstairs with performers who are eclectic to say the least, I would say it is 'world music' with some French singers and latin american style dancers thrown in! It doesnt get going to pretty late and is open until dawn breaks! My other recommendation was Le Petit Journal as well. Enjoy and I would love to know where you went as we will be there in June and also love a good night out with live music.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM

plafield
Thank you for the list of jazz clubs...this is great to have!
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:11 AM

We've been to the Swan Bar a couple of times. I don't think they serve food, but there are numerous places to eat along blvd Montparnasse near the bar. The place is relaxed and pleasant, not grungy, and we usually go on the 'jam' night so there is no entry charge. The drinks (like any Paris bar) are expensive, 7-15€ each - probably an expectation of at least one drink per person. On other nights, they have a planned program and then there is probably a cover charge.
http://www.swanbar.fr/
http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/pa...closerie-swan/
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Very nice suggestions! Sharbear wrote recently of going to the Hotel Lutecia and hearing George Benson! http://www.lutetia-paris.com. I hope we will get there and maybe some of these suggested places next week!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM

bookmark