concert at Musee d Orsay

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
concert at Musee d Orsay

Has anyone been to one of their evening concerts at Musee d'Orsay or heard any comments?
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Never knew they had them. Would someone enlighten us?
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I go to classical music concerts a lot in Paris, but haven't been to one at the Orsay. I choose a concert based on the program and performers, rather than venue per se. My impression from some of their programming is that they are somewhat esoteric in concert -- ie, would not appeal to the masses nor someone who doesn't listen to classical music a lot. They do have some interesting programming, though, so would appeal to those wanting to hear something you don't hear live a lot. They are radio broadcast, so I am sure good quality-- a few performers there I've heard of, most I have not.

These aren't concerts aimed mainly at tourists like those at Ste Chapelle so much (where the same group performs the same program several times a week for years). They are subscription, also, so I don't know how many free seats they would have. I wouldn't go unless the program was something I really wanted to hear (ie, I wouldn't go for the building or experience). They have them in the auditorium, the entrance from the Legion d'Honneur parvis.

They have concerts in some other museums, also, such as those at the Louvre (which are really good, but maybe about 20-30 euro), and some at the Musee Cognaqc Jay (which are free or low price), or even the musee at the Invalides.

Here is one place I found a list of their programs through May, so you can see what you think of them. I like to go to those in churches myself in Paris, as the acoustics can often be really good, and they are usually very reasonable in price, and you don't need to iget tickets in advance. I notice that web site says both the May 11 and 13th concerts are sold-out at the Orsay.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:52 PM

I go to classical music concerts a lot in Paris, but haven't been to one at the Orsay. I choose a concert based on the program and performers, for the most part, and wouldn't go to a concert just because of where it is, myself--although I might go to one in a great place that was something I wouldn't choose to go to in a bad location. The Orsay wouldn't be a place I'd pick out as desirable for the experience, I'd choose a famous theatre for that or church.

My impression from some of their programming is that they are somewhat esoteric in concert -- ie, would not appeal to the masses nor someone who doesn't listen to classical music a lot. They do have some interesting programming, though, so would appeal to those wanting to hear something you don't hear live a lot. They are radio broadcast, so I am sure good quality-- a few performers there I've heard of, most I have not.

These aren't concerts aimed mainly at tourists like those at Ste Chapelle so much (where the same group performs the same program several times a week for years). They are subscription, also, so I don't know how many free seats they would have. I wouldn't go unless the program was something I really wanted to hear (ie, I wouldn't go for the building or experience). They have them in the auditorium.

They have concerts in some other museums, also, such as those at the Louvre (which are really good, but maybe about 20-30 euro, in their auditorium), and some at the Musee Cognaqc Jay (which are free or low price), or even the musee at the Invalides. I think I've seen some listed at the Cluny, also, occasionally.

Here is one place I found a list of their programs through May, so you can see what you think of them.

http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fr...umero=65110073

I like to go to those in churches myself in Paris, as the acoustics can often be really good, and they are usually very reasonable in price, and you don't need to get tickets in advance. I notice that web site says both the May 11 and 13th concerts are sold-out at the Orsay.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:54 PM

so I didn't know that was posted -- the latter is better info and has the URL