Paris - Orleans. Private guide day trip

Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - Orleans. Private guide day trip

Hi. I am planning a trip to Paris. I would love to take a day trip to Orleans. I don't want to stay there, just want to see the town. Does anyone know of any private companies, drivers, guides, that are reliable and trustworthy that will take tourists out for the day? I know there are commuter trains from Paris to the Loire Valley, but it's a good distance still to Orleans without transportation and I couldn't find metro that takes you to Orleans.
Any tips, suggestions, advice?
Thank you
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 01:55 PM

There are direct trains to Orleans hourly or so - right to town center. Check www.oui.sncf for details and booking - why Orleans? Have lived there on and off for years and would not necessarily recommend it as a really nice or interesting town. Great cathedral and somewhat nice setting on Loire - tour guide may add interest. And you do not want trains to Les Aubrais-Orleans - the mainline suburban station but to Orleans - again right in center of town - short walk to anywhere - contact Orleans Tourist Office for guides - doubt if anyone here has experience because who goes to Orleans?

Last edited by PalenQ; Aug 3rd, 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi PalenQ
Thank you for your suggestion. I will check out oiu.sncf. Why my interest in Orleans? I am from America and one of my favorite cities is New Orleans in Louisana. Call me weird, but I need to see the original Orleans. I know it's nothing like it, but I just want to say that I've been Orleans.
Thank you again!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 02:27 PM

OK - good enough. And Orleans is a pleasant enough town - Orleans is famous for Joan of Arc and there is a small museum for her. And the cathedral is really neat - Check out Rue de Bourgogne for lots of restaurants and whatever is left of Orleans old town - Orleans was severely damaged in WW2 and rebuilt in modern form.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:06 PM

Ninotravel
I got a kick out of your reason for going to Orleans. My first visit was because of the round "French Cathedrals" we sang in girl scouts. I did all the rest of them too. Enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:20 AM

I have to wonder what you're going to get out of Orléans in France that will relate to New Orleans in the USA, but that's an interesting thesis. At any rate, of course the métro in Paris won't take you that far - you need to take a train, which is easy. You certainly don't need some private driver.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 07:21 AM

I think it's interesting when people have their own reasons for visiting a place, makes sense to me.

I think the OP is not well traveled and doesn't understand that Europe has an extensive train system network, France in particular has a pretty good one in most parts. And that metro is a term used for city transportation systems, it is only within the city and the close suburbs, never across the country. But if one is willing to take "metro" to Orleans, why wouldn't one be willing to take the train?

Nino, perhaps you aren't aware of the French rail system. You can check times and fares on the French railsystem website www.oui.sncf or some place trainline.com
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Ask Robert at Kristy's Cars... very friendly guy and speaks excellent English. He might be able to serve as a driver-guide.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Again Orleans' cathedral is awesome and highly under publicized IMO - I call it wedding cake Gothic - and it's the fifth tallest in France at 114 meters. Orleans itself is one of the oldest cities in France, dating back to times of Roman Aurelianum, the town's namesake. Along with Tours it is one of the few towns in France to always be under the kings of France and French nation and thus claims along with Tours and area to speak 'the purest French' - not sure about that but that's what they say.

Besides the cathedral it is a pleasant but unexceptional city - do wander down to the Loire and cross the ancient bridge on the other side of the Loire (where Joan of Arc's camp was when she drove the English out of town) for a great view of the cathedral's stately towers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=orle...w=1269&bih=613

https://www.francethisway.com/places...-cathedral.php
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate that!! Thank you!
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina!

I will review these sites. Much appreciate the suggestions.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 02:53 PM

The Orleans tourist office right by cathedral has free walking tours with maps - hiring a private guide may be neat but you can better IMO bop around on own with a map and sights denoted on it - again not many musts.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Why not try renting a car? It's not that far from Paris, you'll get there in no time + you'll have the autonomy to go where you want.
Did that few years ago, and passed through Orleans. I must join the above commentators however in saying that it's not that much to see there. It's a peaceful french town with a nice cathedral. They do serve some taste "pate de foie gras" though
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Car could be neat - do a drive bu Orelans - see cathedral and head down Loire to some lesser-known but really neat chateaus and towns of Meung-sur-Loire and Beaugency - two really old looking quiet villages on Loire with yes neat chateaux nearly no one who does Loire chateaux few ever see - I recall at Meung the lady owner showed us around her chateau herself - she was mopping up the entry way when we arrived. Easy driving once out of Paris but Orleans can be a real beast to drive in - unless it's a Sunday.