Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans Dauphine Orleans or Wyndham Bourbon Orleans? Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning trip to New Orleans March 4-7, 2005 and I have booked a room in the Wydham Bourbon Orleans for $143/night (king room) and I am getting concerned about negative reports I am reading (but have good reports too) just underwent "millions" in renovations and don't know if all negatives have been fixed.....but now I have booked a room at Dauphine Orleans Hotel too after reading some reviews and got queen room over looking patio at $182 a night (so $40 more a night).....Need some help to decide which one is better (don't mind spending more if the Dauphine is worth it over wyndham) any suggestions please would love to ease my mind!!! Thanks, Amy
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Amy,

I haven't stayed at the Wyndham, but we love the Dauphine Orleans. It's a great location 1 block over from Bourbon Street. An easy walk to anywhere in the quarter. Grounds are pretty, rooms are clean and very nice. Not cheesy in any sense. I would highly recommend it, and I find their prices are very reasonable as well.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you tpatricco for your advise...I'll tell you I am very apprenhensive about all that I have read about the Wyndham but then I wonder if the renovations have helped but I have read so many nice things about the Dauphine I think I had better go with my gut and the reviews..thank you so much!!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I have also stayed at the Dauphine twice and really enjoyed it.

I like the rooms across the street overlooking the fountain in the courtyard - very cool. Exposed brink walls, etc.

Much more personality than the Wyndham.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I agree with Diana, great character at the Dauphine. almc, stay there...you won't be disappointed.

Forget the Wyndham.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much for all your advise I have booked a room at the Dauphine and I am going to cancel the other and be done with it...I can't wait to go!!! Amy
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Dan

Went to a party last night at the Wyndham Bourbon Orleans. The $16.5 million renovation made the place look pretty darn good. The room I saw was a balcony king. Beautiful!

I still like the Dauphine Orleans, too, so you can't go wrong.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 08:04 PM

It's been a couple of years, but we loved the Dauphine. The hotel has great character, and the courtyards are lovely. The continental breakfast, as well as the iced tea, were very nice. The king sized bed and robes are very nice (although we had a very basic room). But we spent very little time in the room, so it did not matter to us!

Have fun!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I just got back yesterday from a 3 night stay at Dauphine. We had 2 double beds overlooking the quarter (with balcony). It was very nice, I would stay there again. The continental breakfast was great (make your own waffles, fruit, bagels, bread, donuts), and they will even make you eggs to order. The free shuttle service around town was very helpful and found all the staff to be great.
You won't be disappointed.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

Definitely the Dauphine! I've stayed at both. The Dauphine is charming. The Wyndham was the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel.