Search

ORLEANS, FRANCE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORLEANS, FRANCE

My questions....worth a day trip (or overnight) from Paris ?? Location of railway station to central points in city ?? main attractions ??
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Could be an interesting day trip if you already have visited:

Chartres
Versailles
Giverny
Fontainebleau
Château de Chantilly
Vaux le Vicomte
Provins
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM

I have lived in Orleans for long periods of time and yes after all the towns Sarastro mentions and several others like Auvers-sur-Oise, Reims, etc Orleans would be well well down my list.

But if you like towns that are relatively untouristed and has a deep history and one blockbuster sight - its humungous wedding-cake Gothic cathedral as well as very very pleasant pedestrian shopping preceints and a wild rugged Loire River to look at

But most of the town was blitzed by American and British bombs in WW2 as this was a strategic industrial and rail junction so even though rebuilt rather OK just lacks the old-world looks of many towns not sadly decimated.

The main in town station is the Gare d'Orleans, just rebuilt as a modern glass train shed but the main station is the Gare des Aubrais, on the mainline Paris-Austerlitz-Blois-St-Pierre-des-Corps (Tours) - many trains only stop at Les Aburais and you take a 'navette'or shuttle train the two miles into the deadend terminus the Gare d' Orleans - some trains from Paris go right into the Gare d' Orleans but do not assume that.

I have written a long thread that on Orleans that i will top - it can be an unusual and different but nice day out.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM

I liked Orleans. We stopped there overnight on our way to our holiday in the Lot. We would certainly go back and spend a bit longer there.

We stayed at the 2 star Oceania hotel there http://tinyurl.com/3xkq4ot it is right on the river, and very pleasant. A good buffet breakfast too. It was in walking distance of the centre, but may be a bit far from the station.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Orleans is a very pleasant town on a very pretty stretch of the Loire River - they have just reopened the old Orleans Canal that goes to Montargis i believe so now canal tour boats can end up here - adding a new element to the town's tourism - a walk along this canal is neat

But for the average person looking for a day trip from Paris who has not seen the likes of Reims, Chartres, etc. i would recommend those over Orleans -but for someone wanting to see a really typical French regional town then Orleans is perfect for that.