Reload this Page >

Paris: Mystery brasserie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 02:44 AM
AllyPally

Hi there. My boyfriend and I are off to Paris this weekend for Bastille and he wants to take me to a brasserie that he visited about 6 or 7 years ago (!!) and the only detail he remembers is that it has rail luggage racks hanging on the walls, presumably where you could put your stuff.

If any of you know this place, I would dearly love to hear from you.

Otherwise, any recommendations for fantastic brasseries greatly appreciated. I'm taking my dad also and we're all of bunch of foodies!

thanks

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bofinger? It is a Paris institution in the Bastille area.

http://www.restaurantspy.com/lespetitsbofinger.htm
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe Bofinger.

I don't remember luggage racks, but certainly a 'traditional' brasserie with very good food.

In the Marais, a block or two from the Bastille monument.

see http://www.flobrasseries.com/bofingerparis/en/
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Ally,

I remember brass luggage racks in lots of places. La Coupole on Blvd du Montparnasse (big, bustling & famous)had them, but they had a renovation since I was last there so I don't know if they're still there.

I love Bofinger, but don't remember the luggage racks there. Besides, the most memorable thing about the decor there is the stained glass ceiling which I think he would have remembered.

La Tour du Montlhery on Rue des Prouvaires-closed on weekends & national holidays! (at Les halles or Chatelet metro) is smaller and less well known (mostly locals), but I recall luggage racks there too.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I was just at La Coupole (late June) and don't recall seeing luggage racks.
The food (and service) however, were wonderful so you may want to check it out regardless.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:52 AM
AllyPally

Thanks everyone!! If these aren't the ones - I've heard of La Coupole - then at least I have some great meal tips!!

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM

I originally went with Bofinger because you had mentioned the Bastille area. However I ate at Chartier in the 9th this past May. It does have lots of overhead luggage racks in it, seats about 300 people and is another classic Parisian brasserie.

Unfortunately, I was less than impressed with my experience there. After two full weeks of great meals and service in France, I was disappointed in Chartier. My Dad and I were banished to the overly warm upstairs balcony with the other non-French speakers where the waiter systemically ignored us. The European couple next to us had an appetizer, main course (of which one overdone steak was returned,) coffee and dessert. They arrived after us and left before us, even though we had only two courses: main and cheese.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Me, too! Thumbs down to Chartier.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I think Chartier is an okay cheap eats for lunch if you happen to be in the neighborhood, but I would never consider it a destination restaurant or go to it for dinner. I had lunch there once and didn't find it a very comfortable experience due to the crowding and noise, and the service wasn't that personal or good. The food is just average cheap cafe food.