Buying reasonably priced luggage in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to pack light on my way to Paris but will likely need more luggage space on my way back home. Thus, I want to know how much it costs to buy reasonably priced suitcases in Paris. No need for big brand names--something that will last airport handling for a few flights would work. Should I go to Monoprix or Chinatown? Alternatively, how much do Samsonite or Delsey bags cost in Paris compared to the US? I usually shop at Marshalls or TJ Maxx which have wonderful prices for luggage.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM

You will undoubtedly see ads in the metro passages for a business called Rayon d'Or. They specialize in all kinds of luggage and usually advertise some sort of a loss leader. A couple times I have run by one of their locations (usually the one just off Place de Republique) to pick up a cheap bag for hauling back the things I just couldn't resist. One of their cheapies has turned out to be just perfect for quick overnight trips, and I now use it all the time.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM

We didn't have any luck finding luggage at the Monoprix in St-Germain but finally found some at the Galeries Lafayette at Montparnasse.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:18 PM

A few ideas:
You're most likely to find really cheap luggage in the large hypermarkets (Auchan, Carrefour) on the edges of Paris (they're not allowed to open large stores within the city). There is a Carrefour in the Bercy 2 shopping centre and I think there's an Auchan in the 4 Temps shopping centre at la Défense.

Monoprix doesn't usually sell luggage I don't think (except maybe for seasonal promotions).

There is a luggage/bag store on rue de Rivoli, under the arcades somewhere opposite the Tuileries. I don't know if it's particularly cheap (it's not high-end either, though).

I'm pretty sure there is a luggage store in the Italie 2 shopping centre too. I know there's a place on Avenue de Flandres (no. 40?) in the 19th that sells cheapo-luggage (it's next door to a friend's flat which is why I know it's there!) but that's not an area you're likely to be in.
Oh, you could also try the area around Barbes Rochechouart in the 18th - as well as the famous bargain store Tati there are lots of other cheapo shops around there.

I don't think you'll find that samsonite luggage is any cheaper in France, by the way.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM

The less upscale quarters of Paris have numerous "odd lots" shops, easily identifiable because they typically display wares outside on the sidewalk. Many of these have luggage. For example, there are two of these on the rue du Faubourg St. Antoine in the 11th arrondissement, between Metros Faidherbe-Chaligny and Nation, approximately across the street from each other, and at least one of them sells luggage.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:34 AM

Just west of the Gare du Nord, North station, is an area of small shops, mostly run by north Africans and other immigrants, that sell sturdy bags cheaply. I think you can buy fake branded items, but you need not: travellers there are buying ordinary goods.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:06 AM

When you say you want to pack light, do you mean using a carryon (22" or less) so you won't be checking your luggage?
If you have an expandable suitcase and a lightweight duffle, it may be enough space. I pack light and can get everything I need into a 22" but always have long layovers so use a 24" expandable bag and check it.

I bought pottery one year so purchased a small wheeled Longchamps at Bon Marche and got the VAT refund because I'd bought other items. I saw Samsonite and Delsey and don't think the prices were outrageous but you'd get a better price on Longchamps or Lancel in France. I paid less than $100 for the Longchamps and have used it on other trips; it's well made and will last a long time.

You can get a 10% refund at Galeries Lafayette and Printemps and then get the VAT refund if you spend something like 200 euros (not sure of exact amount) in the store on the same day. If you buy a good bag on a discount, it will last longer than a few trips. Some brands were on sale when I was there, so it might be worthwhile to check out the major stores.

I agree about the luggage prices at TJ Maxx, although it's hit or miss in my local TJ's. I don't think you'll find those prices in Paris.

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I used to be a big fan of quality brand name luggage, until my high end Samsonite soft-sided bags got some balsamic vinegar and olive oil spilled on it (most likely from another passenger's bag stored in my flight) in my last trip. After this fiasco, I realized that it does not matter whether my bag is made by LV, Hartmann, Samsonite, or even a smaller brand--you still don't control your bag once you check it in. Also, it seems that some less advertized brands make pretty decent bags nowadays.

Old May 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM

There's an inexpensive luggage store on the rue Cler in the 7th. I've picked up an extra duffel or two there a few times in order to get stuff home that I'd bought on a trip.

I've also been to that luggage store on the rue de rivoli - true, it's not upscale, but the prices on rue Cler were way cheaper.
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM

If you are coming from the US, remember that the exchange rate is not in your favor; what is inexpensive to the French won't be inexpensive to you. Last year we bought way too much stuff on a domestic trip; we ended up at Walmart and bought two duffles. The ends zip together, so each is smaller than a frisbee. We packed our dirty clothes in those, and put our new purchases in our carry ons.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...p;PRODID=72333

I always have this with me on vacation. I pack my dirties in it on the way home and put all my new goodies in the sturdier luggage.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I don't think Monoprix sells luggage, either, but am not positive.

If you just want a cheap no-name 20-22" roller bag, you can get one real cheap from sidewalk vendors or cheap luggage stores. There are some on the southern part of rue de Rennes in the 6th (probably south of Placide metro, along there), and there are also some cheap luggage stores generally around BHV dept. store. I know where they are and have passed them but am not sure of the street, unfortunately. There are also several cheap odd-lots luggage stores on rue Alesia, a street known for discount shopping.

I'm talking real cheap no-name brands, but they will get your stuff home. Maybe 10-20 euro. I suspect there may be more of the same at some street markets and places like that, but I know I've seen some at the above locations.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Be careful of the "real cheap" luggage. A man I worked with had one and the handle came off when he was walking through the airport. I saw a bag on the carrousel in Paris that had a deep slash (must have caught on something) and the clothes were spilling out all over the carrousel.

Some of the cheaper bags are not waterproof and if your bag is sitting on the baggage cart in the rain, your stuff could get soaked. Or -- if liquid from someone else's bag spills on yours it could go through the fabric.

This is not to say that you can't find a bargain, but check the wheels and handle and make sure they're sturdy and bring some plastic to cover your clothes.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM

As someone said before, I always pack a duffel in my suitcase, and bring it out when my main piece is full. You can pack it full of souvenirs or clothes and check it through on your way home. I have also packed a smaller suitcase (filled with my things) inside a larger one which I separated after arriving. Either solution works great. With the exchange rate, I doubt you will find anything there as inexpensively as at TJ Maxx or Marshall's.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would fold a nylon duffle bag from home into the bottom of my suitcase, and do what others have mentioned for the trip back.

Another thing I have seen posted here is if you have a set of luggage pack in the smallest one, put that into the medium one which is empty but for the suitcase nesting in it... then check it. After arrival you then have one totally empty extra suitcase.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Great Minds Suze....
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM

"if you have a set of luggage pack in the smallest one, put that into the medium one which is empty but for the suitcase nesting in it... then check it. After arrival you then have one totally empty extra suitcase."

I've done this and it worked very well for me, but I had the impression from "pack light" that she was planning carryon for the trip over. Otherwise, she could buy one of the reasonably priced suitcases at T.J. Maxx instead of shopping for one in Paris.

Old May 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM

I saw a whole bunch of what I call disposable luggage on our way to Sacré Coeur on the street main of the Metro stop of Anvers. Perfect for bring back gifts or item that will not fit in the luggage that you brought with.